pasty butt in silkie chicks

vpeterson

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2009
Forest Lake, Minnesota
anyone have any good ideas on dealing with pasty butt in chicks. Silkies seem to get it worse than other breeds. I lost a chick last night and I don't know if it was because the vent was plugged or whether I was too vigorous in trying to get him unplugged.

I always wash baby butts under running water. Just make sure its nice and warm. The running water will soften the poo and you'll be able to squish it and break it up easier. When the little booty is clean, dry it really well with a soft wash cloth or towel. Then rub a little olive oil where the poo was sticking to help keep it from sticking again. Hope this helps, good luck with your babies!

I use the warm running water method also- I only put the behind under the water, and take my time taking it off after it softens.

Then I apply Rooster Booster Pick No More Lotion so the behind doesn't get pecked because the bottom is noticeable to the other chicks due to the cleaning.

When they are very young sometimes you just lose chicks for what seems like no reason. A bottom washing wouldn't have killed a chick unless they are too cold or some other problem.
old.gif

I am so sorry for your loss but don't blame yourself as NOT washing off the pasty butt will kill them if it truly blocks the vent.
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom