Pasty Butt or Ruptured Vent??? Please help!

cellsworth

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 26, 2013
Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences
I have a 8 day old RIR that seems to be having trouble pooping. She has never had a pasty vent or should I say never had poop stuck on her vent that I needed to clean off. With that being said the poor girl chirps as if in pain when trying to poop and only drops a bit at a time but her vent is big and really protrudes when she strains to drop. What to do? Is she constipated or blocked? I have read about prep H for her bottom, I have tried vaseline.......I am afraid that I will lose her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! BTW, she is eating and drinking fine - she is loving the one on one attention that she is getting from me also:)

Is she old enough to lay? Sounds like she may be egg bound. I don't know how to "fix" it but maybe someone can post that does.

What do you have her on? Shavings, hay? Do you have chick grit for them? Eight days may be a little young for chick grit, Idk, but if she has eaten alot of shavings she may need it. If you can get her to take a little olive oil on something it might help her pass whatever is blocking her. I have found with blocked chicks, although mine were much older, that oil and plenty of fluids sometimes helps them pass the blockage. Of course I had to tube the stuff down them and I think your chick is too young for that.

^ I agree. If they're on shavings, I'd suspect that this one got a little crazy with eating them. I've only had it happen once, but it was the same as you described. Vent would bulge out quite a bit when the chick pooped, sometimes a little would come out, sometimes nothing. The poor thing would chirp its head off and strain hard to go.

I tried feeding it some olive oil to lube things up a bit, but it didn't work. What I ended up doing was taking the chick out everytime it chirped (indicating it needed to go). I'd stick its little bum under some warm, running water and VERY GENTLY used a pair of tweezers to remove the blockage from the vent. What I pulled from its vent was mostly pine shaving dust. I'd also put some vasaline on its bum to keep it from getting irritated. It eventually started going on its own and I've never had another chick do that. I gave them a dish of dirt to dust bathe in and get grit from as well. I give all of my chicks a pan of dirt now, and hopefully its one of the reasons why it hasn't happened since. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom