Pasty Butt Question

ejcrist

Songster
Oct 16, 2015
Desert Hills, AZ
I picked up my first flock last Thursday and they all seem to be getting along reasonably well and happy. I've read a lot about pasty butt and have been keeping an eye out for it just in case. I've noticed a lot of the chicks have dried poop on their rear ends and whenever I've seen it I used a damp cloth to try to get it off but I never seem to be able to. I obviously don't want to rub too hard or too long since I'm sure you could easily damage the area. I'm also wondering if I'm worrying about nothing since all the chicks seem just fine with no stressing going on at all. So my question - is dry poop on their hind ends perfectly normal and as long as they're not in any obvious distress should I not worry about it? As a side note I've given them 1/2 the normal poultry doses of Vet Value Plus Vitamins and Electrolytes in their water (1/2 gram per gallon). Any info would be greatly appreciated. I've read as much as I could on raising chicks but some things are better coming from experience.

Thanks, Gene

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I worried a lot about pasty butt too. Probably wiped way more than needed! LOL The first time I was panicked and wiping I realized I was worrying over the umbilical cord!
lau.gif
Pasty Butt kind of looks like a GLOB on the bottom, not just messy poop bottom.

Ok, thanks much. I mean, I've read a lot about it but never actually seen it before so I have no idea what the heck I'm looking for, but a glob is something I'd recognize. I just keep telling myself that birds have been growing up without our help ever since Adam started dating Eve so not to fret over every little thing. Thanks again for the description.

Oh yeah, you got that right. My main concern is heat. I'm north of the Phoenix so it's about 10 degrees cooler in the summer but it still gets up to 110 or so in the hottest part of the summer. That's why I got White Leghorns and Barred Rocks which are both supposed to do ok in this heat. I'm planning on putting a kiddie pool in their run when it starts warming up and maybe a mister. Plus I'm thinking a shade cloth on the south side of the run so they can have a lot of shade. I've been trying to think it through for the past year or so but like everything else, I'm probably worrying way too much since people have been raising chickens here since way back when with no conveniences.

True, the experts on here said it's a way bigger deal to deal with heat versus cold. Make sure LOTS of fresh cold water. The Mediterranean breeds are supposed to be good. We have 3 Andalusians and I bet they would do REALLY well where you are! I don't know how they will be at egg laying yet since they are only 17 weeks old. I should know in another 10 weeks or so.

If you can see the chick's vent then it will be able to poop. I usually just quickly pull off the dried poo with my fingernails. A little down may come off but that will prevent more from sticking to their rear. The good news is, pasty butt is usually only a problem the first week.

(yes, I scrub my fingernails afterward
big_smile.png
)

Dried poop on the bottom of the chicks is serious. Use warm damp cloth..soften..then I use tweezers very gently to pull free to clear. Dab area with neosporene and continue process every other day until chicks are passing waste to ground. To get chicks off to a healthy start..warm Walter with probiotics and second with electrolytes and vitamins will boost the chicks.

Copy that Red Horse and Lazy Hen - thanks for the info. So far it hasn't been a problem. I mean, a couple of them have dried fertilizer on their hind ends but they haven't exhibited any signs of stress so I've been pretty much just leaving them alone and so far so good. Red Horse I like your idea - quick and easy. I've been keeping a real close eye on them since I brought them home last Thursday, looking for any signs of stress but nothing so far. My Mom lives with me and said I worry more about the birds than her. I told her not to worry and if the house caught fire I'd come back for her as soon as I got the brooder out of harms way. Needless to say she didn't appreciate my humor.

WOW! you started those birds early in the year @ejcrist I thought I was bad ;-)

I got my first batch yesterday.....

but then I read that you are in AZ and Im in UT, so yeah it makes mores sense in your neck of the woods.
LOL I just cant wait!

I did have to bath 3 of my chicks to relieve them of butt clots today, they were healthy and energetic but I didn't want the situation to get worse. Well see how they do.

Back
Top Bottom