Pasty Butt vs. Umbilical Cord?? URGENT! Poll Included!

Is this Pasty Butt or the Umbilical Cord?

• Pasty Butt

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Umbilical Cord

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
I have got to get me one of those! Surprised I spelled all that rigjt there's a parakeet walking all over my keyboard...lol!

First of all she is ADORABLE
love.gif
! Second of all don't worry. Pasty butts are nasty and very obvious.
IMG_0596.jpg

See?
But what you circled in the first pic is not the cord either. The cord is where the belly botton would be is the had one. So on the lower stomach. The large lump that you are looking at is actually the tail. All chickens have a lump that the tail feathers grow from. in a couple days/weeks you will see small poky stick things sticking out of it. those are just the start of feathers.

In the future if the chicks do develop pasty buts then clean them as often as possible in warm water. DON'T put the head under! Your goal s to just get all of the poop off the vet and surrounding area. Then wrap it in a warn cloth and put it under a heat lamp and place your hand on top of him.

I hope that I helped!
yippiechickie.gif

I circled the tail and know that that is one :) it has little feathers coming out of it already!

Thank you for helping and I'll be sure to check her butt to make sure. I've seen her poop several times now and see that her vent is perfectly clear but just a little bit protruding.

Thanks again and have a good day!
-Liz

jumpy.gif

I have got to get me one of those! Surprised I spelled all that rigjt there's a parakeet walking all over my keyboard...lol!

Haha! Don't worry about it! Animals have a fascination with computers... especially cats!

Black Sumatras are great chickens and some of them actually lay blue eggs! I can't wait to see what Cas will lay, but either way she is quite sweet.

Thanks again!
jumpy.gif

It's a heredity issues male chicken genes for sex is reversed and messed up. I just had my chicken 24 hours old put to sleep. Don't breed with that rooster again. I have it with 3 roosters. It's in blood line. They can treat it very expensive and it will never have a normal life without pain if it does live. I have had 8 die in two months. 7 on there own. One put two sleep she couldn't walk.

Nope! Turns out little Cas was fine and she grew up to be quite the proud hen. I guess it was pasty butt. Here's a picture of my little baby, all happy (and not taken from her butt).

Pasty butt 101...
1f605.png
who would of ever thought you would willingly spent an hour or more tenderly checking chick butts??? No me, I thought, until my new babies developed "pasty butt"... The worst was this Now how do you take cared it?? Ok first off be careful. The cord is very close to that vent. If it gets bad like the above picture you risk pulling the cord as well. You need warm but not hot water. A pack of Q-tips and a towel to dry your baby. You might not get it all but most is a good start. Clear that vent. You will know when poop starts flowing
1f616.png
. If your dried poop is heavy carefully dip that chick bottom or even run under easy flow of water. Don't overdo it. That chick is a baby. Let that baby rest after you get most off and that vent clean.
1f60a.png
now if you start to see blood STOP! Grab a little corn starch and pat that bottom and sprinkle with starch. Keep an eye on that baby. You will not save every pasty butt but if you take your time and ask people here you might save them more than you lose them. The chick in this picture took the treatment well but as I said before I had to stop because I saw a little blood. Dried or not I stopped. Better safe than sorry. I'll try to update on chick. If you have suggestions please reply. I'm always happy to find better safe ways to help my babies.

I have found that by grinding up their feed and adding a bit of ground oats is helping reduce pasty butt (aka poop build up). Sometimes I think they do it on purpose cause they just totally relax u Der the water while I wash their butt.

Back
Top Bottom