pasty butt

aznewbe

In the Brooder
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
I have a couple chicks with pasty butt. I pulled it off the best i could. Any thing else i should do or check for.
thanks.

I use warm water and a soft cloth to soak the poopies, and then gently rub away. I don't want pull thier feathers out, wich can happen so easily. You have to keep an eye on buildup, cause it can block up and babie can die.

HenHappy is correct with her method, being careful is important and you should have no problems. It's best to keep an eye open for a while til the stress from shipping is over and the pasting will stop.

bigzio

We usually get some pasty vents on the 2nd or 3rd day. I run their butts under warm water and pull off the poop gently. I also apply petroleum jelly after their butts have dried - seems to help.

I've also been having some trouble, and will try some of the advice here - a question, though. If you run their bums under warm water, does that cause a problem with being chilled or do they warm up right away once you put them back? Also, what temp water is the best?

They should be fine if you use warm, not hot, water and put them back under their light.
I use water that is comfortable for me to touch... I guess that would be lukewarm.

Back
Top Bottom