1 Week Old Chick Lethargic & Constant Pasty Butt

GlicksChicks

Songster
Apr 11, 2024
I have a 1 week old buckeye chick, it weighs 28 g. Compared to another buckeye the same age who is 34 g.

The chick is lethargic, laying with it's head on the ground and it's eyes closed.

The lethargy symptoms started showing up around 2 hours ago and have been going down hill quickly. It did get pasty butt yesterday but I dealt with that and it went back to normal. It had the pasty butt again this morning and I dealt with it again but this time it was weak.

All the other 17 chicks are perfectly healthy at the moment.

There are no visible signs of trauma anywhere. The only visible thing that isn't normal would be the pasty butt.

The only thing I can think of is the pasty butt trapping things in.

The bird was eating chick feed soaked in water this morning and drinking clean water with it's siblings like normal.

The poop is very runny and smells like it was in there a while.

I have given the chick vitamins and electrolytes and I have been keeping it warm and away from it's siblings so it can't be stepped on.

I am trying to help the chick myself.

The housing is a caged in area with a heat plate and 3 dishes of food so everyone can get food. The bedding is a towel that I change out every day so I can avoid the chicks accidentally eating bedding.

Attachments

• 20240416_131826.jpg
    20240416_131826.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240416_131820.jpg
    20240416_131820.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 2
I'm sorry no one answered before, how is your chick doing?
Was this chick hatched/incubated by you, or purchased?
Shipping stress happens a lot. Pasty butt can be from stress, being too hot or too cold. You have to be vigilant about cleaning them up until it resolves. If they get blocked they will die. Try not to get it too wet, and dry it after, so it doesn't get chilled. I would also work on getting fluid in it, give them room temperature to slightly warm, I try to give every 20 minutes or so. I hold them so their beak rests in the crease of my finger and drip the fluids down the crease to the tip of the beak, they will swallow it. I alternate electrolites with plain, fresh water, or sometimes mix in a little raw egg yolk.
This link is info on helping a weak chick, hopefully it will help, now or in the future:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-chicks-to-survive-hope-it-is-helpful.367608/

I'm sorry no one answered before, how is your chick doing?
Was this chick hatched/incubated by you, or purchased?
Shipping stress happens a lot. Pasty butt can be from stress, being too hot or too cold. You have to be vigilant about cleaning them up until it resolves. If they get blocked they will die. Try not to get it too wet, and dry it after, so it doesn't get chilled. I would also work on getting fluid in it, give them room temperature to slightly warm, I try to give every 20 minutes or so. I hold them so their beak rests in the crease of my finger and drip the fluids down the crease to the tip of the beak, they will swallow it. I alternate electrolites with plain, fresh water, or sometimes mix in a little raw egg yolk.
This link is info on helping a weak chick, hopefully it will help, now or in the future:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-chicks-to-survive-hope-it-is-helpful.367608/
The chick is unfortunately not with us anymore. The chick was hatched by me. I gave it warm water, electrolytes, and vitamins. There were times it seemed to perk up and times it went so dow hill I had to stare for a while to see if it was alive. Whatever happened to the chick took it down fast.

The chick is unfortunately not with us anymore. The chick was hatched by me. I gave it warm water, electrolytes, and vitamins. There were times it seemed to perk up and times it went so dow hill I had to stare for a while to see if it was alive. Whatever happened to the chick took it down fast.
:hugs I'm sorry about your little

:hugs I'm sorry about your little
Thank you, it was sad to see them how they were. There were times they seemed dead and times they seemed normal. I think they knew that they weren't going to make it long because they would only stop chirping loud if I held them. It was sad. I gave them a name before they left me, I named them Kernel because of their love for the corn kernel bits in their crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom