URGENT: Chick with swollen vent and pasty butt

The Chick Addict

💖
Premium Feather Member
Jun 23, 2022
Texoma
My 2 wk and 4 day old Silkie chick had pasty butt which I just noticed this morning when I let the chickens out. It was covering her vent and I just cleaned it off with a warm towel with water. I've had experience with pasty butt before with my first batch of chicks, but this time I noticed that her vent was swollen and pushing out and I could see some pinkish/clear liquid on the outside, as well as being able to see a little bit inside of the vent. She's not acting too abnormal, just cheeping for her mom. Her sister died because of the same reason, but she was also a smaller chick, and I don't think this one will die if I figure out what to do. I got some pictures but my camera wasn't focusing well, so their a bit blurry. Does anyone know why this is and what I can do to help her?
Pastybutt.jpg
pastybutt2.jpg

Did you hatch this chick or is it from a feedstore or hatchery? You can feed a little coconut, olive oil or molasses orally, and can lubricate the vent opening with a little oil on a QTip. Make sure it is not too overheated or dehydrated. If the chick is not constipated, then it might be a sign of mushy chick disease or infected navel.

Did you hatch this chick or is it from a feedstore or hatchery? You can feed a little coconut, olive oil or molasses orally, and can lubricate the vent opening with a little oil on a QTip. Make sure it is not too overheated or dehydrated. If the chick is not constipated, then it might be a sign of mushy chick disease or infected navel.
I hatched it about 2 weeks ago. I didn't see any problems with constipation, mushy chick, or infected navel in the past weeks. I've been making sure it's drinking enough water. Thank you for the advice, I will do that. Is it possible the poop irritated her vent and that's why it's swollen?

What is your brooder temperature? After 2 weeks it should only be 80 in the warmest spot, with a cooler area to get to. The poop can dry and become like a concrete plug, and yes it is irritating to the skin. Let us know how she gets along.

What is your brooder temperature? After 2 weeks it should only be 80 in the warmest spot, with a cooler area to get to. The poop can dry and become like a concrete plug, and yes it is irritating to the skin. Let us know how she gets along.
She's being raised by her mother. She's been getting around fine, her mom taught her to eat, drink, get around, and she spends an even amount of time underneath her mom and being active. Okay, thank you for information!

I dealt with pasty butt by holding the chick in my hand with its butt sticking out, then I gently massaged and cleaned its butt under a trickle of warm water from the lavatory faucet. They would immediately have a good poop after the treatment. Worked well for me.

Back
Top Bottom