pasty butt

For severe cases, just hold the chick, butt first, under the faucet. The water should be tepid, not screaming hot, not cold. The poop is hard and takes a bit to absorb the moisture, but as it does, crumble the poop away.

Pat the vent area gently and apply some vasoline or olive oil. This helps in preventing future sticking issues.

FlockWatcher's recommendation was a good one. Many times, small brooder tubs/containers are simply too warm for the chicks and don't provide enough cooler space for the chicks to self regulate their body temps.

thanks for the tip! i know one of mine is getting a partial bath today... lol. I don't think its going to be too happy with me

Well, looks like my chicks are getting bum-baths today! Thanks for the advice...I'm thinking bum bath and then some olive oil. We'll see how it goes. There are only 2 that seem to have a problem - they're not plugged up, but their little butts are gross!

I am on my 3rd flock. the first 2 I feed Store bought starter then grower...etc. from the feed store. I alway's was cleaning butt's Did not like that too much. They always needed attention. now with my 3rd flock I have been mixing my own whole grain feed. I also have been adding in ACV from the start. I have not once cleaned a butt.

Oh they are 9 weeks old now. almost 10.

Last edited:
Ok, so what do you do with the vinegar? Just add to their water? In addition to the elecrolyte powder? And I gave my one girl a butt-bath and had to pull some poo and fuzz off...now her bottom looks sort of raw. I hope she's OK? She's acting fine, but I haven't seen her poo yet...

Ok, so what do you do with the vinegar? Just add to their water? In addition to the elecrolyte powder? And I gave my one girl a butt-bath and had to pull some poo and fuzz off...now her bottom looks sort of raw. I hope she's OK? She's acting fine, but I haven't seen her poo yet...

I have been adding ACV to their water from day 1.... I use regular ACV but some swear by organic. Add 1-2 Tblsp per gallon. Start with less then slowly bring it up.

It helps their "plumbing". Yogurt is also good for their plumbing as it will bring good bacteria to their systems. It does have to have "live active cultures" in it thou.

I am still doing this. I have not added anything else to the water.

You can just stick their butt under running water then gently wipe with wet paper towel and repeat......it does take a bit to get the dry poop to soften enough to remove it all.

I wouldn't pull dry poo off thou. could damage the skin and then the others will see the "red" and pick the skin bloody. That's another problem.

Just watch her and make sure you see her poop. I had one so backed up that I had to help it to poop.

Good luck.

Great. Now I'm nervous. When I cleaned my chickie's bum today, I maybe pulled too hard and some fuzz came with. Her bum is pretty raw right now. I've seen her poop now, though, so that's good. I put olive oil on there, too. Is there anything else I can do for her!?! I'm worried now!

No.... don't be worried. Just watch them for a little while to see if they are going to bother the red butt one. she will be fine.
Poop dry's to rock hard..... just take your time to let it get really wet .....and it wipes right off. no worries.
Just watch and see if she can still poop and that she is not stuck shut with poop. you can usually tell if they are stuck shut or not.
when you are cleaning them the vent sorta looks like it is trying poop and opens and shuts.... you'll know.

An easier way to soak the feces is to get a clean squirt bottle, fill it with warm water and spray the area a few times, then take a paper towel and gently pinch the center of the feces buildup, it should come right off without hurting the chicks, or having to hold them in water. A few sprays and a pinch and you're done!

Well, my red-butted little girl seems to be doing OK. She didn't seem to have as much fluff there as the others anyway! I don't really know if she ever got plugged up or if it was just an icky build up. This is the area I'd really prefer my husband take care of, but he's out of town for a few weeks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom