pasty butt

So I just wanted to add a few things. I have cleaned some of the chick's bums and some of the fuzz did come off initially. It didnt seem to matter and a few days later things were clean and clear. Just as long as you are not ripping and causing irritation or bleeding I think you are good to go. That baby fuzz will be gone soon enough naturally. I started to put Bragg's ACV into their water at age 1 week (just found out about it from another post here) and I have not had a single pasty bum in five days now. I will ALWAYS use this in their water for all ages for it has tremendous health benefits for them. I have never had a chick get constipated. I would try some of the live bacteria yogurt with a bit of oil mixed in it as well. Good luck everyone! Who knew that I would be wiping chicken butts!!! LOL

So I just wanted to add a few things. I have cleaned some of the chick's bums and some of the fuzz did come off initially. It didnt seem to matter and a few days later things were clean and clear. Just as long as you are not ripping and causing irritation or bleeding I think you are good to go. That baby fuzz will be gone soon enough naturally. I started to put Bragg's ACV into their water at age 1 week (just found out about it from another post here) and I have not had a single pasty bum in five days now. I will ALWAYS use this in their water for all ages for it has tremendous health benefits for them. I have never had a chick get constipated. I would try some of the live bacteria yogurt with a bit of oil mixed in it as well. Good luck everyone! Who knew that I would be wiping chicken butts!!! LOL

I had to wipe three pasty butts this morning. They didn't seem to mind. I soaked a paper towel and worked slowly at getting poo off. I will put some ACV in their waterer soon. They are only 4 days old. I'm babysitting my 2 yr. old grandson so am wiping poopy baby butts and chicken butts! Lol.

Last edited:
I know this is an older thread (but this subject will never get old, as long as you are getting in new chicks!)-- one thing I wanted to add (this is our first set of brooder chicks in 2 years, and our first pasty butt issues)-- is that for the chicks who were pretty encrusted, and we did sorta pull out some down feathers, so now they have pink (not red) butt -- I cleaned the area and then put neosporin on the area (works just like vaseline) and it really has helped the raw skin heal alot faster.... This just happened yesterday so we will see if problem is solved (O I added the ACV a few days ago as well)....

Can you just clean off the little bottoms, or do you have to do anything else? I've read that if you don't give them grit, the pasty butt won't go away. Is this true?

Thank you for the tip on running the warm water! I just did it, and my little chick was SOOOOO happy! She just let me help her- I could tell it was a relief. She had a HUGE poop shortly after and I am sure feels much better now. Thank you so very much Fred!! Please can someone tell me the ratio of ACV to water? Regards to all.

Back
Top Bottom