Paying a house/flock/animal/plant sitter

TarheelBirdy

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Liberty NC (near Burlington)
We are planning a four day weekend away in the next few months. When we go will depend on the availability of a sitter-of-all-trades. In our case, it is a young woman we know well (she is the daughter of a good friend). She is 20, and has just started a career which she works 8-5. She grew up on a farm.

We need her to water and feed our 4 horses, check up on our birds (which I will be able to stock up on food/water for the entire time we are gone, but will let her know how to feed/water just in case), watch the chicks (!!!), water garden seedlings daily, and feed the pig and the cat. I will also have a batch in the bator she will need to keep an eye on.

I planned on filling up her gas tank, since our place will add a bit of mileage to her usual budget. I also planned to leave her and her boyfriend lasagne and wine, hoping she will actually enjoy her time at our place. Above and beyond this, what should I pay her?

I was away 7 days, have a dog 3 cats and 12 chickens I paid $40 a day and she stayed at my house most of the time, closer to her job Did not provide any meals, etc

We pay $400 for the week for our house/hobby farm sitter. Wrks out to something like $57/day. Quite a deal, from my point of view! The ability to relax while away is priceless. She is pleased to have the cash and I am pleased to know my animals will have exceptional care!

"Hoping she will actually enjoy her time at our place"
If she does - that is just a bonus for her. Keep in mind this IS a job for her, you expect certain things and managing your farm is a responsibility. Compensate her well! Taking care of your farm is no small favor.

Back
Top Bottom