PDZ can heat up your coop?

6 littleHens

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2012
Chillicothe, Ohio
I started out using pdz for my chicken coop and run to decrease odors and moisture in bedding about 3 years ago. The last two winters I used it very sparingly because of cost. That first winter was very warm in the coop! I used to tell my husband it was warmer in the coop than our house. However since then it has been very cold and difficult to keep above freezing. Well, I kept trying to figure out what was different and the only thing I could think was that I covered the floor with pdz about an inch at least.
A few months ago I read an article on zeolite and found it a very interesting mineral that stores heat indefinately and releases it when water is added. It can be reheated and released again. Anyways, I found that pdz has this mineral in it! Then I wondered how that worked in my coop. Well, I figure the chickens urinated and the waterers spilled out on it after the sun heated it. Then it release the heat! Mind you I dont want my coop warmer than my house but I would like no frozen water! And maybe some warmth. At least 35-45 F degrees would be my ideal temperature in winter.
So, I bought three more bags and layered it on top bedding and under waterers and especially in south sunny window. Well, all my hens are broody and only one moving around so not much going on and not noticing warmer temps so I have been purposely spilling waterers and actually adding some in front of the window. I havent checked yet this morning as it is 16 degrees here and I'm being lazy. But I am hoping my temps are above freezing in the coop!
I have put pdz in my sunny bathroom window for several hours then added water and it did get very warm but my thermometer broke and I could have been having hot flash or my husband may have upped the thermostat. Anyways, I will continue to experiment as I think this mineral has some potential.

I'm thinking that for this to work, the zeolite needs to cycle between moist and completely dry. I also imagine that any humidity in the air will cause the release of stored energy (heat), potentially resulting in no net gain. There are heating systems that use zeolite but I believe they are closed ststems, i.e. humidity levels are kept at or as close to zero as possible.

Seemed my flock kept it going that first year that I used it. I just layered it all over floor and nest boxes. This year I just put one bag of it on every pooh spot, under black water barrel, and under there waterer.

.... Anyways, I found that pdz has this mineral in it! .....

I have put pdz in my sunny bathroom window for several hours then added water and it did get very warm but my thermometer broke.....
PDZ is the mineral zeolite, nothing else in there.

Hmmm..not sure I buy it warming the coop as you described.

But I may try the sunny window experiment just for kicks.
What temp was the water you added?

I didnt check temp of water just added warm because zeolite supposed to store warmth then release with added water. My coop has been above freezing everyday. I add couple scoops full every day and dump couple cups water on it in evening.

Not as warm as the first year but I had 20 something chickens half large fowl and no broodies. All were active scratching and pooping and peeing constantly that year

Back
Top Bottom