PDZ Coop Refresher

We also use PDZ in our poop boards. No issues. Tell us about cleaning of the coop. For me that is a once a year thing. And the pine shavings are barely soiled. As most poop goes in our poop boards. Abby chance it is something associated with the cleaning?

I have recently been using PDZ Coop Refresher. I have had 3 chickens die after coop cleaning and applying this. I don’t know if this is the definitive cause, but now I’m wondering. The girls are absolutely fine and healthy, I clean the coop, put in the refresher and when I go to close the coop at sundown, bam, another one of my ladies has died. I don’t know if they’re eating it but I am guessing they are. It says all natural and organic on the bag, but I can’t find a list of actual ingredients. Am I crazy? Any thoughts?

Thank you!

I have recently been using PDZ Coop Refresher. I have had 3 chickens die after coop cleaning and applying this. I don’t know if this is the definitive cause, but now I’m wondering. The girls are absolutely fine and healthy, I clean the coop, put in the refresher and when I go to close the coop at sundown, bam, another one of my ladies has died. I don’t know if they’re eating it but I am guessing they are. It says all natural and organic on the bag, but I can’t find a list of actual ingredients. Am I crazy? Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Thank you!
This is not the first time I’ve heard of this happening although there is no definitive proof of coarse that that is what’s causing the deaths.
Zeolite

Thank you!

Thank you!

Zeolite is the active mineral in the product. A certain type of it which is very expensive and not used in farm products is actually safe (debatably) for human consumption. The other cheaper form ( in your product) contains metals and is absolutely toxic without any doubt to all life if enough is consumed.

I use granular PDZ and sand on the poop board - no problems over 3 years. I've seen them peck at it occasionally. Because of the poop board, I only replace the coop shavings once per year (and it really doesn't need to be changed!).

Zeolite is the active mineral in the product. A certain type of it which is very expensive and not used in farm products is actually safe (debatably) for human consumption. The other cheaper form ( in your product) contains metals and is absolutely toxic without any doubt to all life if enough is consumed.
Very important caveat. Drinking too much water can kill you too.

I use only sweet pdz on the floor of my coop. They ingest it when eating food that has fallen, which is constantly. I’ve had my hens just shy of two years without any illness. I believe it to be completely safe.

Attachments

• 335253EC-056C-4B41-BBE9-DFC545F688C5.jpeg
    335253EC-056C-4B41-BBE9-DFC545F688C5.jpeg
    995.1 KB · Views: 11
I use only sweet pdz on the floor of my coop. They ingest it when eating food that has fallen, which is constantly. I’ve had my hens just shy of two years without any illness. I believe it to be completely safe.

Do you use the granules or powder? I can't tell from the photo. And how is it working for you? I was thinking about doing this inside the coop, I was thinking it would be easier to scoop out poop like cat litter. I keep reading not to do 100% PDZ... if it's all natural, it wouldn't hurt the birds, just the wallet.

Back
Top Bottom