Pea protein for waterfowl starter feed

gooseapplefarms

Chirping
Aug 26, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Hello, I currently feed my ducks and geese 18% feed from a local supplier, and I supplement with niacin in the water. For starter feed, I have tried just going with the 18% and my ducks look a little underweight (they are meat ducks). I'm feeding them a soy free feed, and the 18% is the highest concentration they recommend because the soy-free options don't allow a great balancing if you go much higher.

One idea I came up with is to use pea protein powder to increase the protein concentration. Since it's about 80% protein, it won't throw off the other macros in the feed to much if I mix it up to 22%.
Any thoughts? Anyone tried such a thing, or have other recommendations for high-protein soy-free feed? Anyone tried this and recommend a good source of the protein online in bulk (50ish lbs)?

Why are you going soy free?
Is there a particular reason that pea protein would be better than soy protein?

(Sorry I don't know the answer to your actual question. Just curious about your reasons for making this choice for your ducks.)

I've not tried it, but assuming your pea protein is like this amazon product, you are going to wreck your AA balance while driving feed costs up significantly.

294 mg of Met per 30g serving is just 0.0098 That's 0.98%, or 2-3x target.
But its 2,208 mg of Lysine per 30g serving. 7.3% +/-, which is 6-7x target.

Lysine is associated with muscle development, particularly breast muscle. Met is connective tissues - skin, digestive system, and tendons.

I'm not aware of any studies directly, but high Lys, low Met souldns like a recipe for inducing Cx-like problems in Pekins from too rapid muscle development before the support structure is there. I would therefore expect more frequent joint problems.

1675119237754.png

I've not tried it, but assuming your pea protein is like this amazon product, you are going to wreck your AA balance while driving feed costs up significantly.

294 mg of Met per 30g serving is just 0.0098 That's 0.98%, or 2-3x target.
But its 2,208 mg of Lysine per 30g serving. 7.3% +/-, which is 6-7x target.

Lysine is associated with muscle development, particularly breast muscle. Met is connective tissues - skin, digestive system, and tendons.

I'm not aware of any studies directly, but high Lys, low Met souldns like a recipe for inducing Cx-like problems in Pekins from too rapid muscle development before the support structure is there. I would therefore expect more frequent joint problems.
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely need to look more into the amino profiles, but I'm not replacing all protein in the feed with pea protein, just planning to take an 18% feed to either 20 or 21% protein. This works out to be about 3lbs pea protein to 50lbs 18% feed.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely need to look more into the amino profiles, but I'm not replacing all protein in the feed with pea protein, just planning to take an 18% feed to either 20 or 21% protein. This works out to be about 3lbs pea protein to 50lbs 18% feed.
Low inclusion rates will definitely help manage concerns with using such a nutrient dense ingredient.

Back
Top Bottom