peace with my rooster

AAJ

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 21, 2011
Hello, i just put my rooster in a cage by himself and plan on keeping him there for a few days due to the stess on my hens and my effort on ttying to make him calm. I was wondering what the best way to do this would be.

How old is he? A rooster under a year still has some maturing to do. I would think that leaving them to mingle for a few hours a day would be best. He doesn't become a stranger and gets a chance to mate for those few hours. The hens get peace for the rest of the day. If he is in his pen for a week or so he should may may return to it at night, that would help to keep him separate.

A sharp knife and a pot of water?

Roosters do not make real good pets. I think they do better if they are a little intimidated by you, and move out of your way. If he is being too rough on your hens, you might need more hens or a different roo.

a lot of people don't like roosters, and if you are just in a backyard, there is not a lot of reason to have one. If you free range with a large assortment of predators, (like me) then it does work better if you have one.

MrsK

That's not really going to change his behavior, other than to possibly make him louder because he'll keep trying to call the rest of the flock to him. Roos are hormone machine and if he's under a year old then he's on a hormone roller coaster as well.

If you don't have a good roo to hen ratio (approx 8-10 hens/1 roo) then it can be a bit hairy and he may be a little hard on the hens. Hen saddles can help with that. If he's human aggressive, it depends on just how bad and what prompts his attacks. For example, does he come after people for any reason at all (i.e. "I can see you, therefore DIEDIEDIE!!!!") or is there something you're doing to prompt aggression (e.g. handling his hens in front of him, reaching for him, getting between him and his hens, etc.).

You MAY make peace with an aggressive roo, but it'll depend on how aggressive (and over what) he is and how good you may be at being conscious of/modifying your behavior. Patience and persistence is certainly key, as well as being able to control your temper and NOT reciprocating any of his affronts: fighting back makes them fight harder and more often. Of course, if there are children involved, rehome or eat him. Roos and kids just don't mix a vast majority of the time and there is a serious risk that a roo could cause severe and/or permanent damage to a child (who is about roo height and not as able to fend off attacks).

I love having roosters. When you get a meen rooster just remember this:
'' Right now your rooster is being meen to you. If you hurt/kill him you are then being meen to him. Your parents always told you as a kid if someone hurts you dont hurt them back. So if you hurt or kill a meen rooster you just became the meen one.''

I'm sorry, but it is not good animal husbandry to allow aggressive animals to breed, and produce more and more aggressive animals. This isn't about being 'mean'. You are a custodian to your animals' genetic health. What happens if keep highly aggressive animals, then fall ill, or pass away? Your entire flock will not be re-distributed, but rather labled a dangerous nuisance, and obliterated.

I'm sorry, but it is not good animal husbandry to allow aggressive animals to breed, and produce more and more aggressive animals. This isn't about being 'mean'. You are a custodian to your animals' genetic health. What happens if keep highly aggressive animals, then fall ill, or pass away? Your entire flock will not be re-distributed, but rather labled a dangerous nuisance, and obliterated.
I dont have roosters for breeding though. I just have them for the same reson I have hens to be my freind! I still will except a meen rooster.

Back
Top Bottom