Peach Peafowl any health or genetic problems?

Does anyone know if crossing the less than genetically sound peach male with something like a standard IB, will eliminate those bad genes or is it a case where once the bad genes are there they, are passed on no matter who you breed with? Just hoping to give my friend options other than culling.
sad.png

You can't eliminate bad genes. This is one of the reasons that its sooo expensive and difficult to create new colors. It is necessary to be very strict on what you use to breed. The "lethal gene" has come up in Arabian horses and also thoroughbreds, In the Arabs a very famous ( and expensive stud fee) stud was a carrier, it eventually got out, giving the owner lots of bad rep, which he deserved. Its not that it necessarily passes on but depending on the dominance of the gene a " clear" bird could be a carrier. And to breed an animal that you know has the gene for a serious or lethal fault is IMO immoral. That said, a bird that took 19 years for sight problems to show up is probably an age problem rather than a genetic problem.

You can't eliminate bad genes. This is one of the reasons that its sooo expensive and difficult to create new colors. It is necessary to be very strict on what you use to breed. The "lethal gene" has come up in Arabian horses and also thoroughbreds, In the Arabs a very famous ( and expensive stud fee) stud was a carrier, it eventually got out, giving the owner lots of bad rep, which he deserved. Its not that it necessarily passes on but depending on the dominance of the gene a " clear" bird could be a carrier. And to breed an animal that you know has the gene for a serious or lethal fault is IMO immoral. That said, a bird that took 19 years for sight problems to show up is probably an age problem rather than a genetic problem.

I agree completely, I hope my friend does as well, since I am not the owner of the yearling peach that is having the problems. I am the owner of the 19 year old cameo and since she was fine for the first 15 years or so she was bred and I have several offspring who are all fine so far. I kind of thought/hoped it was age related and as it is she gets by just fine, she is currently laying eggs and she is the dominant hen in the pen.

Back
Top Bottom