Peacock killing a duck?

To help prove your case, I do have a trio of opals with my ducks. The Opal Spalding hen is the meanest peahen I have had when it comes towards an interaction with ducks. She will peck on them to get out of her way or chase them away from her. She is just the alpha female and likes things to be her way. She has never injured any of my ducks, and my other peafowl do not bother the ducks at all. No way a peacock would do that.

Thank you so much @Blue Creek Farm for that vote of confidence in Peggy!
Unfortunately, against all logic, he has been judged Guilty
he.gif
so we'll see what happens next...
sad.png

Head missing on a duck? How in the world is Peggy supposed to have accomplished this? He must have eagle talons and the sharp beak of an owl!

No way!
So sorry for Peggy is judged guilty, it sounds impossible to me.

Well that is lame.
hmm.png
It is like you said they filled in the holes as well so if they are having no more issues it could just be from filling in holes. When I had raccoon issues they came and then would be gone maybe a week or more until they were back again and I would find another bird dead. So just because Peggy was not present does not mean he was the cause of the deaths. Raccoons will go off and come back some other night when you least expect them.

Are these dead ducks being found in the morning? We know that peafowl fly up and roost at night so if the deaths appeared to be happening at night, then there is no way Peggy would be killing ducks at night. Even if a duck roosted next to him he wouldn't be able to rip one's head off.

Since getting into peafowl I have developed a greater love for birds. So when I went to volunteer at a parrot rescue for a few days I thought I would get along with parrots because they seem to be one of the more common pet birds to have and I don't know I guess I figured raising birds means I would do well with any bird because I 'understand' them. NOPE! I was feeding them treats and a big male macaw grabbed my finger and wouldn't let go! That hurt so badly and I was bleeding and I couldn't feel my finger for at least 30 min. It was then that I realized peafowl were definitely the right choice for me. The bird I have that bites the hardest is Alto. If I have a tomato in my hand he will not only grab the tomato, but he will grab my fingers too in the process. Even though he bites the hardest I couldn't see him being able to rip off a ducks head. Parrots on the other hand have beaks designed for crushing tough nuts. Peafowl don't need to crush tough nuts so they don't have a sharp, thick, powerful beak.

He plugged up the holes? where did the holes come from? it will be back and now Peggy will be found Innocent of the crime he did not do this, it would have had duck feathers on him, if there was just a small opening a bird of pray could have also gotten in the pen but there would be tons of piles of feathers as they pluck and eat their kill.

I know this is a peacock is out to get something it will not stop, it will not take a break and get it later when no one is looking, it will be persistent to it gets what it wants or runs it off, if he would have been after these ducks the owner of the place would have heard a ruckus and saw what was going on if they spend any time with their birds.

Peacocks do not have teeth they are not great peckers they prefer to tear off small pieces when they can but not for a long time other than that they eat bite size portions they do not maul something and rip, it apart like a coon

You guys are great support,
thumbsup.gif
thanks from me and from the 100% innocent Peggy.
I need to work on finding a new home for Peggy where he will be safe from predators and accusations!
And, of course, where I will be able to see him every day.

One of my peacocks and one of my Muscovy drakes, both alphas of their kind, are best buds.... but with mating season comes their game... They will face each other off as if to start a fight and usually the Muscovy drake ends up holding onto some pea tail feathers while sitting on the train and being pulled around... This is their thing each mating season and thru the rest of the year they just hang out in passing as friends do but have never hurt each other... Both lose a few feathers by the end of the season but that it...
Just thought I'd share... Don't think either that a peacock would kill a duck and think it sounds like a weasel or raccoon or mink instead...

Good story!

Happy to say that Peggy's foster father has downgraded him from "duck murderer" to "possible involuntary duckicide, potentially followed by a rat that got in and chewed the duck's head off."
Crisis averted.
big_smile.png
I can't really complain about foster-pop, who has been incredibly generous to my sweetie boy.

Back
Top Bottom