Peafowl 101: Basic care, genetics, and answers.

Oh I remember those. I remember Othman talking to Brad and he said they were Cameo. I also remember thinking that I hoped Othman did some breeding test with them!

If those hens are Cameo split opal they would produce 50% Opal and 50% IB if bred to an Opal Male. All of the males would be split Cameo. They would produce all Cameo split Opal birds if bred to a Cameo male.

Oh I remember those. I remember Othman talking to Brad and he said they were Cameo. I also remember thinking that I hoped Othman did some breeding test with them!

If those hens are Cameo split opal they would produce 50% Opal and 50% IB if bred to an Opal Male. All of the males would be split Cameo. They would produce all Cameo split Opal birds if bred to a Cameo male.
That's great, i was wondering if their chicks will be split opal when breeding them to cameo male, just sent a new email to Brad 2 days ago with the new pictures next to opal and cameo hens, still waiting for his response.

The IB-looking chicks from the opal male will be split opal... but that goes without saying
wink.png

They say :
" Because leucism is a failure of the color to be put into place, not a failure of the color to exist, it is possible for white birds (and pied birds) to exist with other colors and other patterns."
So a Blue pied bird can hide the pattern Silver Pied ..... how he does?

Dany, that quote you used just means that pied is not exclusive of other patterns. So you can have a pied blackshoulder bird, for instance. "pied" is a part of the silver pied pattern (last I heard it was a suspected interaction between pied, white-eye, and possibly white genetics), so pied would not "hide" silver pied.

At best, you would be able to say that a dark pied bird that had come out of silver pied birds still carries the genetics for silver pied.

They say :

" Because leucism is a failure of the color to be put into place, not a failure of the color to exist, it is possible for white birds (and pied birds) to exist with other colors and other patterns."

Dany, that quote you used just means that pied is not exclusive of other patterns. So you can have a pied blackshoulder bird, for instance. "pied" is a part of the silver pied pattern (last I heard it was a suspected interaction between pied, white-eye, and possibly white genetics), so pied would not "hide" silver pied.

At best, you would be able to say that a dark pied bird that had come out of silver pied birds still carries the genetics for silver pied.

Well if, to have silver pied, it requires that a bird carry one pied gene, one white gene (both alleles) and two WE genes (homozygous for WE), then the "dark pied bird from silver pied parents" is not exactly "hiding" silver pied genetics. It just happened to get two pied genes (one from each parent) and should also have received two WE genes, one from each parent. So that "dark pied bird from silver parents" probably is White eyed in addition to being dark pied... and because of the two white eye genes, it might show more white than a dark pied with no white eye genes, a so-called minimally-marked pied.

The white birds from silver pied parents (also 25% of the offspring) will be carrying two white genes (one from each parent) and two white-eye genes (one from each parent). Those white-eye genes will be "hidden" by the white coloration of the entire bird, so there won't be any way to visually tell that the bird is carrying the WE genes.

But if that white, double-factor WE bird is bred back to one of the dark pied, double-factor WE birds, then all of the offspring should be silver pied... because they will get one white gene from the white (homozygous) parent, one pied gene from the dark pied (homozygous) parent, and one WE gene from each parent, since each parent is also homozygous for WE.

The problem with the reasoning "blue pied can hide silver pied" is that it compares apples and oranges and gets grapes. "blue pied" is either referring to a bird carrying a pied gene, or two pied genes, or a white gene and a pied gene, and we don't know which. Silver pied appears to require a combination of genes, of which, the "blue pied" would at best be only a part.

And yes, the quote does only mean that both the white gene and the pied gene can EXIST with other patterns. It does not state what the outcome will be in any given case or with any given pattern, because to know that, we need much more information about the specific bird and its parents.

They say :

I am not sure I agree. Silver pied is a further modification of pied, white or white eye. That much we know is true. All three ingredients are required to have silver pied. Nothing is technically hidden.

You can hide the silver pied gene if one of the other ingredients are not present. But technically it is not hiding, it is just not expressed.

Well if, to have silver pied, it requires that a bird carry one pied gene, one white gene (both alleles) and two WE genes (homozygous for WE), then the "dark pied bird from silver pied parents" is not exactly "hiding" silver pied genetics. It just happened to get two pied genes (one from each parent) and should also have received two WE genes, one from each parent. So that "dark pied bird from silver parents" probably is White eyed in addition to being dark pied... and because of the two white eye genes, it might show more white than a dark pied with no white eye genes, a so-called minimally-marked pied.

The white birds from silver pied parents (also 25% of the offspring) will be carrying two white genes (one from each parent) and two white-eye genes (one from each parent). Those white-eye genes will be "hidden" by the white coloration of the entire bird, so there won't be any way to visually tell that the bird is carrying the WE genes.

But if that white, double-factor WE bird is bred back to one of the dark pied, double-factor WE birds, then all of the offspring should be silver pied... because they will get one white gene from the white (homozygous) parent, one pied gene from the dark pied (homozygous) parent, and one WE gene from each parent, since each parent is also homozygous for WE.

The problem with the reasoning "blue pied can hide silver pied" is that it compares apples and oranges and gets grapes. "blue pied" is either referring to a bird carrying a pied gene, or two pied genes, or a white gene and a pied gene, and we don't know which. Silver pied appears to require a combination of genes, of which, the "blue pied" would at best be only a part.

And yes, the quote does only mean that both the white gene and the pied gene can EXIST with other patterns. It does not state what the outcome will be in any given case or with any given pattern, because to know that, we need much more information about the specific bird and its parents.
Thats a lot of words! I think I could summarize by saying all three genes work cumulatively. They each affect the other.

Back
Top Bottom