Peafowl Photos Aug. 14

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Here are some photos I took yesterday. I didn't get any photos of the two peachicks I have over here at my house though. I keep forgeting to take photos of them.

Here is a photo of my clumping bamboo that is growing in the pen. When I first planted it about two years ago it was just 2 or 3 little stalks and now it produces about 20 new shoots a year. It grows through the netting and it is getting really tall. The peafowl like the shade it makes and they also like to search for bugs around it. Sometimes I see them jumping to grab a bug off of one of the bamboo leaves. That log is one of the two logs I rolled into the pen to use as a feeding platform. Also the peafowl like to perch on those.

Here is a photo of Damsel and one of her two peachicks. The other one was getting a drink of water. Damsel is a lot more protective of her peachicks than Ice is. Damsel will make noises if I get to close to her and her chicks so I give her some space.

Here is a close up of Peep's feathers. His old feathers are looking very dark now and he looks very interesting with a mix of old and new feathers.

Whenever I come to feed the peafowl they all see my drive up and they all stand there looking but Peep paces the fence back and forth once he sees me. Peep greets me at the gate and follows me as I throw out food. I will throw out some seeds and he will start eating it but once I walk away to throw seeds out somewhere else he stops eating and follows me to the next place. He only eats if I am near some food and he perfers to peck at the food can I have in my hand to get me to let him eat straight out of the can. Here he is on one of the logs where I put some of their food. He likes to fly up on the logs a lot and I normally pet him when he is on the logs too.

Peep knows the best time to get a drink of water...Right as I am cleaning out and re-filling the water. That is when the water is nice and cold and when I re-fill this big tub of water he will jump in there as it is filling up and stand there in the water until he has decided to get out. I always know when Peep has just been in the water because the front of his neck will be all wet and I will pet him and say "I see you have been in the water Peep!" I love him so much. :)

Alto is a sad sight probably like most other adult peacocks right now. He still hasn't lost his short eye feathers and some of his tail feathers. It will be nice to see his four year old train come in.

One of Ice's peachicks from last year is really nice looking. I really like her. Her name is Fiona and I was thinking she is a dark pied but is she a pied? I guess she is just dark pied but I really want her to be a pied! I love how her flight feathers have that frosted look.

All four of my white peafowl are doing well. It is exciting seeing the male's train grow. He is just a yearling but I can't wait until he is three! I still need to name three of my whites. The white from Ice is named Snow White but the others have no names.

Here is one of the whites on the metal pole that runs across most of the pen. I have some plants planted along the pole so you can't really see the pole in this photo.

Here is Fiona's best friend and sister, Xena. She is on the metal pole.

Great pictures, MinxFox.
I don't think I've seen pictures before that show how big your pen is - it looks really great. It's almost like your gang is outside.
Fiona has gotten so pretty!
Which of the whites still need names? We can try to help you out.
(Hmm...Marshmallow? Snowball??!? Clorox?!? More serious names can be thought up as well...)

Edit: well of course they are outside! I mean it is almost as though they are free ranging.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great pics. Looks like they are all doing well.Alto still looks pretty dang good even when somewhat molted. My boy still dont look too bad yet but big feathers are all over the ground. Cant wait to see what he looks like next year. He was still displaying to the 2 hen red goldens in with him although I will probably try to get him a Java hen this fall if I can find one at a fair price.

fabolous pics
thumbsup.gif
i wish i could have such big pens.

Thanks everyone! My pen is 40x50 ft. but that isn't counting the tin covered portion and the small metal pen attached to it that is suposed to be one of those dog pens you can buy. I am hoping to make a new pen soon near this one.
Great pictures, MinxFox.
I don't think I've seen pictures before that show how big your pen is - it looks really great. It's almost like your gang is outside.
Fiona has gotten so pretty!
Which of the whites still need names? We can try to help you out.
(Hmm...Marshmallow? Snowball??!? Clorox?!? More serious names can be thought up as well...)

Edit: well of course they are outside! I mean it is almost as though they are free ranging.
Yeah the netting is not very noticable so it makes the pen feel open and I wanted to plant it to make it more natural for the birds. They like it so much that they won't step out if I open the pen door for them. Except for Peep. When he was a peachick I took him out of his little pen all the time and played with him so he is used to walking out of his pen to roam around.

Back
Top Bottom