peahen has nest in a the wrong place

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
So, something of a silly question, but I'm just wondering the best way to handle this. My 10 year old IB peahen goes broody every year, and she always selects a different spot for her nest in our barn. Once she has selected her nest, i'm always careful not to disturb her, but i let her know i know where she is, and she's fine with it.

So the same this year, only this year she has decided that the bed of our Gator that is stored in the barn for the winter, would be a good nest site. I want to use the Gator eventually, so no it's not a good spot. I know from past experience that the peahens get very upset if their eggs disappear. I want to move her nest, and i figure she will abandon the eggs if I try to, but she will be upset, and I don't want her to mistrust me in future and decide to lay her eggs outside or something. I'm wondering if I move her eggs to another nest box while she is watching, if she would accept that, and move with them, or if I should wait til dark and then move her AND the eggs to a new nest site. Somehow, i don't think either of those ideas will work, but just curious if anyone has any ideas about this. She's an old friend and I dont want to upset her or destroy the relationship we have built, hahaha. But she is a bird, and so, well you know....doesn't always think the same way people do. :D:D

Last edited:
I'd disrupt the nest. If she is setting, she may start a second clutch. If not setting, she will start another nest, and you can return the eggs to that site. This will not 'destroy your relationship'.

So, something of a silly question, but I'm just wondering the best way to handle this. My 10 year old IB peahen goes broody every year, and she always selects a different spot for her nest in our barn. Once she has selected her nest, i'm always careful not to disturb her, but i let her know i know where she is, and she's fine with it.

So the same this year, only this year she has decided that the bed of our Gator that is stored in the barn for the winter, would be a good nest site. I want to use the Gator eventually, so no it's not a good spot. I know from past experience that the peahens get very upset if their eggs disappear. I want to move her nest, and i figure she will abandon the eggs if I try to, but she will be upset, and I don't want her to mistrust me in future and decide to lay her eggs outside or something. I'm wondering if I move her eggs to another nest box while she is watching, if she would accept that, and move with them, or if I should wait til dark and then move her AND the eggs to a new nest site. Somehow, i don't think either of those ideas will work, but just curious if anyone has any ideas about this. She's an old friend and I dont want to upset her or destroy the relationship we have built, hahaha. But she is a bird, and so, well you know....doesn't always think the same way people do. :D:D
They're not that smart they won't move with the eggs and they won't blame you for taking them.

They're not that smart they won't move with the eggs and they won't blame you for taking them.
I should have phrased it another way. I know she won't blame me per se, but she may see me taking them, and I've seen peahens get very stressed for days when their eggs disappear. That's what I'm hoping to avoid. But whatever, I guess I won't worry about it. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom