Pecked in the eye by a chicken??

Pics
I just got pecked in the eye like 10mins ago. I was holding my chicken, and I turned her on her back to check her for bumble foot, and that little thing pecked my eye! Not like a stab, but she bit my eye! I saw down her throat :hmm

Anywho, my eye was in pain for about 5mins, now it just feels scratchy. No vision issues or bleeding!

Hurts, doesn't it? As my black Cochin hen Morgan says after she pecks me in the eye, "That'll teach you to let you eye wander in range of my beak! Dummy!"

this just happened today

Yikes! I've not been pecked in the eye but I had a close call when my young buff orpington was hanging out on my shoulder and decided that my eyelashes might taste good. Luckily she just got the eyelash scared me pretty bad though!

Last edited:
Sure have, it wasn't fun let me tell you. We ( my barred rock-Spike and I ) were out for a walk around the yard. She loves to sit on my shoulder while I ride on the mower or in this case, walking. She jumps up on my arm and makes her way up to sit. Sometimes facing backwards for reasons unknown to me.

It was a sunny summer day and when I turned to say something to her, that's normal around here, the sunlight must've created a shiny spot and BAM! I fell, Spike flew and I was in deep pain. That peck scared the heck out of me, wild thoughts went through me in a flash. Am I missing a piece of my eyeball, will it get infected etc. Crazy I know, but I was freaking out.

After a few minutes of agony and running around the backyard like a lunatic, my wife after me, (she had some experience years back), I calmed down and opened my eye. Thankfully, all was well, blurry but still intact and I learned a valuable and painful lessson about chicken safety. Next time, I'm wear goggles.

Note: While this Hitchcock moment was occurring, Spike was busy free ranging as usual with an occassional glance up to me, as if to say, " We good here?" Yeah, we're good". ;)

chickens peck at shiny things, like eyeballs

Yeah, this. Keep your face away from the beaks.

Eye injuries are terrible.

I'd suggest that anyone that does get pecked in the eye - go see an eye doctor as quickly as possible - corneas heal quickly, but an infected cornea can very easily lead to blindness/obstructed vision/etc. It's just not worth screwing around.

Last edited:
i got pecked in the eye once... wasn't a fully gown chook and i closed my eye just as i noticed it tracking my eye and about to launch its peck! lol.

Back
Top Bottom