Pecked vent, worried her vent is too narrow now and can't poop properly

Pompona

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
Spain
Hi,
I have a 6-7 month old new pullet, a modern english game bantam. She came home about 2 weeks ago with another 2 bantams. They were doing quarantine in a large dog crate, but apparently it was too small for them, as this pullet got her vent pecked (I think from stress of being in the crate). So I found her 3 days ago bleeding from her vent and fluffed up. I washed her vent and applied antiseptic gel and put her in a separate crate. Yesterday I just watched her and the wound had stopped bleeding and she seemed better, so I just left her alone because I didn'twant to worsen her wound. She was pooping only liquid (I think mostly urates and a little bit of brown stuff).
Today, I checked her vent and a hard scab (dark, not dry urates) formed on the upper "lip" of her vent. I am worried because I haven't seen a normal poop, and her vent seems not able to fully open because of the scab. I washed her again with warm water and tried to "massage" a bit her vent with a q-tip with vaseline, introducing it a little bit. After that, I left her in her crate and saw her poop a TINY amount of solid poop and she had to strain.
Besides that, she is now behaving almost normally, scratching in her crate and she started eating again.

What else can I do to help her? I'm afraid she will die from not pooping properly.

Also, I am not sure if she started laying eggs yet, as I said I got 3 bantams and some days I found an egg in their crate, but don't know which one is laying.

I will try to post some pictures as soon as I can.

Thanks, any advice is welcome.

If she has not been eating much it will take a little while to produce a normal volume of stool. She could be appearing to strain more from discomfort than actually being blocked. I would just encourage her to eat, and monitor her for a day or two. If she still seems to be blocked, then you can gently soak the scab and remove it. Then keep it moist with Neosporin or similar antibacterial ointment.

Thanks for answering, townchicks. I saw her poop this morning, not a complete poop but she poops several small chunks at time. She seems to be leaking urates. I attach some pics.
Otherwise she seems to be fine, walking normally, pecking around, drinking, eating.
I will clean her again later and put some cream or ointment on her. I have one with gentamicine and cortisone, would that be ok? I can't get Neosporin here in Spain.

Attachments

• 20231208_100044.jpg
    20231208_100044.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231208_100121.jpg
    20231208_100121.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for answering, townchicks. I saw her poop this morning, not a complete poop but she poops several small chunks at time. She seems to be leaking urates. I attach some pics.
Otherwise she seems to be fine, walking normally, pecking around, drinking, eating.
I will clean her again later and put some cream or ointment on her. I have one with gentamicine and cortisone, would that be ok? I can't get Neosporin here in Spain.
That ointment should be fine.

Today, I checked her vent and a hard scab (dark, not dry urates) formed on the upper "lip" of her vent. I am worried because I haven't seen a normal poop, and her vent seems not able to fully open because of the scab.

She seems to be leaking urates. I attach some pics.
I will clean her again later and put some cream or ointment on her. I have one with gentamicine and cortisone, would that be ok?
The hard scab will remain for a while, so you will want to keep it moistened with ointment, oil or honey. This will possibly help the urates from sticking to the skin and building up so much as well.

I'd try giving her a daily soaking in a warm epsom salts bath. Apply your ointment(s) a few times a day as necessary and each time you clean her up.

The scabbing may make it more difficult for her to pass droppings, but it should start to loosen and slough off as the tissue underneath heals.

This may take weeks.

Keep her hydrated and eating.

The hard scab will remain for a while, so you will want to keep it moistened with ointment, oil or honey. This will possibly help the urates from sticking to the skin and building up so much as well.

I'd try giving her a daily soaking in a warm epsom salts bath. Apply your ointment(s) a few times a day as necessary and each time you clean her up.

The scabbing may make it more difficult for her to pass droppings, but it should start to loosen and slough off as the tissue underneath heals.

This may take weeks.

Keep her hydrated and eating.
Thanks for the advice, Wyorp Rock. I will put ointment. Hopefully she will heal soon.

Back
Top Bottom