𝓓𝓾𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓟𝓱𝓸𝓽𝓸𝓰𝓻𝓪𝓹𝓱𝔂
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 6, 2017
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Monday morning I came out to my Lemon Cuckoo Orpington with what looks like prolapse vent. I brought her in and soaked her in an Epson Salt bath and cleaned her vent. Upon cleaning it, I discovered that the 'ball' hanging out was all full of poop. I cleaned it out as much as I could, and the vent went back in. Afterwards, I put some honey around her vent because that's the only anti-flamitory thing I had after searching a few threads. Her vent seemed to be doing better the rest of the day and Tuesday, except for me having to clean the poo from her bum and there was blood on her poop from her vent apparently bleeding. Yesterday, now Wednesday, her vent came back out, though not as bad as it was on Monday. I cleaned it, and it went back in. Going on from there, it seems to be coming out everytime she tries to go to the bathroom and it appears to still be bleeding.

Since discovering the prolapse, my hen has been separated from the flock in a dark coop to stop her from laying. I do not have any Calcium Citrate with D3 and I don't know when or if I'll be able to get any anytime soon. The flock is fed layer pellets with plenty of oyster shells mixed in. I'm a bit frustrated right now by her and the other random issues I've been having with this flock, so I'm hoping that posting this thread will give me either answers of what to do, or just comfort me that I'm doing the right thing and maybe my bird won't die like all the others have been doing. (I'm honestly sick of chickens right now.)

It can take up to a week sometimes for a prolapse to stay in or go back in. The calcium or even Tums could help. It is time consuming. It can be normal for the prolapse to come out with straining to poop or lay an egg. Some hens are prone to prolapses, and some may repeat it later on. Years ago, many culled hens with prolapses, but some may do well afterward.

I had a lavender Orpington that got a prolapsed vent last year and I tried the warm soak, cleaning it, pushing it back in, etc. and nothing was working. She would push it back out the second I let her go. I was feeling pretty overwhelmed at the time and decided to do one last attempt and if she didn’t improve and started going downhill, I’d have my husband cull her. I cleaned the prolapse, put hemorrhoid cream on it, and pushed it back in. I watched her for the next day or so and she was still acting normal, and when I picked her up to check, things looked normal again. She hasn’t had a problem since.

I went to the store yesterday and I couldn't find the right calcium and I couldn't find any hemorrhoid cream at all. My Mom had this on hand, which I put on her vent this morning before pushing it back in. After I finished, she tried pooping again and her vent came right back out. :(

1000000350.jpg

It can be frustrating, but keep pushing back in daily. Hopefully, it will soon stay in. Most Walmarts sell Equate generic calcium citrate, with D3, and Caltrate is the more expensive brand name.

I went to the store yesterday and I couldn't find the right calcium and I couldn't find any hemorrhoid cream at all. My Mom had this on hand, which I put on her vent this morning before pushing it back in. After I finished, she tried pooping again and her vent came right back out. :(

View attachment 3779554

I don't know how things turned out for your hen but for future reference hemorrhoid cream is usually called Preparation H. And in all of my years of having chickens none have ever touched the oyster shells I've offered. Better off crushing and feeding egg shells if you ask me.

I don't know how things turned out for your hen but for future reference hemorrhoid cream is usually called Preparation H. And in all of my years of having chickens none have ever touched the oyster shells I've offered. Better off crushing and feeding egg shells if you ask me.
I'm so sorry, I forgot to update. I couldn't handle seeing that she was in pain and attempting to treat her seemed like it caused her more pain with no improvement. On top of things, it was looking like she was developing vent gleet. I contacted the farm that I sell my eggs to down the road and asked the lady if she had ever treated prolapse or gleet and asked her if she was willing to help her. She was experienced and treated her to the best of her knowledge. My hen is now completely better and is almost completely settled back into her flock.

Back
Top Bottom