Stajemahal

Songster
Jul 26, 2017
IMG_1456.JPG
To fully understand we must adventure back a couple days.

Monday I noticed my Roo (Big Phat) was looking pretty mangy. He is approximately a year older than the rest of my hens. I acquired him from a friend who had ordered from the hatchery and received more than her fair share of Roo's. That's right. I saved him from the chopping block. Forgetting ()the fact that I had a BR Roo(RIP).
Sour crop &/or impacted crop took my beautiful BR Roo. But that's a sad tale and completely off topic.
Due to Big Phat being older, I chalked his mangy look up to nothing but him molting.
Then I checked out his fluffy booty.
Pecked tail feathers along with some broken ones and a lot of red irritated skin.
I ran to BYC and found a girl who had a Roo with an ugly looking rump just like Big Phat.
The BYC community recommended Bluekote? Or however it is spelled.
I ran to my nearest farm store and of course they didn't have it. But they did have Peck-No-More Cover Up Lotion.
It is this purple goo with this nauseating grape smell if you were unaware.
I applied it to Big Phat and returned him back to the run. My 2 BSL and 2 RIR hens immediately went to eyeing Big Phat's purple covered rump and promptly pecked.
Then shook their heads and began wiping their beaks on the grass.
Crisis managed.
This is new and uncharted behavior out of my flock. I'm hoping someone has some advice to put the pecking to rest, which is why I share this story. If you were wondering.

I would of posted pictures of his rump today but the purple goo is still there and covering the uglyness with it's own form of ugly.

Side fact- Big Phat is named Big Phat because his previous owner feeds her chickens every table scrap that comes from her kitchen table. I worry about bumblefoot with him all the time. Fortunately that has yet to be a problem for me.

View attachment 1163349 To fully understand we must adventure back a couple days.

Monday I noticed my Roo (Big Phat) was looking pretty mangy. He is approximately a year older than the rest of my hens. I acquired him from a friend who had ordered from the hatchery and received more than her fair share of Roo's. That's right. I saved him from the chopping block. Forgetting ()the fact that I had a BR Roo(RIP).
Sour crop &/or impacted crop took my beautiful BR Roo. But that's a sad tale and completely off topic.
Due to Big Phat being older, I chalked his mangy look up to nothing but him molting.
Then I checked out his fluffy booty.
Pecked tail feathers along with some broken ones and a lot of red irritated skin.
I ran to BYC and found a girl who had a Roo with an ugly looking rump just like Big Phat.
The BYC community recommended Bluekote? Or however it is spelled.
I ran to my nearest farm store and of course they didn't have it. But they did have Peck-No-More Cover Up Lotion.
It is this purple goo with this nauseating grape smell if you were unaware.
I applied it to Big Phat and returned him back to the run. My 2 BSL and 2 RIR hens immediately went to eyeing Big Phat's purple covered rump and promptly pecked.
Then shook their heads and began wiping their beaks on the grass.
Crisis managed.
This is new and uncharted behavior out of my flock. I'm hoping someone has some advice to put the pecking to rest, which is why I share this story. If you were wondering.

I would of posted pictures of his rump today but the purple goo is still there and covering the uglyness with it's own form of ugly.

Side fact- Big Phat is named Big Phat because his previous owner feeds her chickens every table scrap that comes from her kitchen table. I worry about bumblefoot with him all the time. Fortunately that has yet to be a problem for me.

I would like to know also if it was the blue coat that began the pecking. Because I used it 2 days ago and noticed a hen pecking at this particular chicken.

I would like to know also if it was the blue coat that began the pecking. Because I used it 2 days ago and noticed a hen pecking at this particular chicken.

I had pecking occurring before the Peck-No-More was applied. I just hadn't witnessed it but evidence was there.

Glad the no-peck worked......but(t) why were they pecking him to begin with?
How new to the flock is he?
If he's over a year he may in fact be molting and those blood filled new feathers might be just the prime menu item for protein lacking birds.

More info about your flock;
flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
your coop/run(sizes in feet by feet with pics),
and what and how exactly you are feeding,
might offer clues to if there is a solvable problem.

Glad the no-peck worked......but(t) why were they pecking him to begin with?
How new to the flock is he?
If he's over a year he may in fact be molting and those blood filled new feathers might be just the prime menu item for protein lacking birds.

More info about your flock;
flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
your coop/run(sizes in feet by feet with pics),
and what and how exactly you are feeding,
might offer clues to if there is a solvable problem.
Haha. Butt. I see what you did there. That is why I posted to the site. To play the big game of Why?
He has been with them since June. So they have all been flocking together for approximately four months.
As far as the rest of your questions go;
I have 2 RIR's, 2 BSL, Big Phat, and 3 Americauna's. So 8 chickens. But if you want to, and you should, add in my ducks I have; 2 khaki's (male & female) and one

Continued.....

And one Pekin. Female I believe since the male Khaki is always on her. They are all approximately the same age, give or take a month, which is a year come February. The only exception is Big Phat. He is also the only Roo now.

I am unsure of the measurements of the coop, but can get back to you on that.

The feeder is makeshift. Basically a box under a five gallon bucket. We fill the bucket up and it spills out the bottom of the bucket til the box fills.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom