LadyCogburn

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2023
Hi all. We moved our chicks (6 weeks) into their coop yesterday. We have 5 Bantam Silkies and 10 Rhode Island Reds.

We woke up to 3 of the Silkies having broken, bleeding feathers on their feet and the RIRs wouldn't stop pecking at them. We took care of the broken feathers, sprayed them with Blu Kote and are keeping the 3 silkies in their old brooder for now.

I tried to put them back with everyone in the coop but the RIRs wouldn't stop pecking at their feet again. I'm keeping them separate right now but I don't know what to do. Any advice? Should I attempt to wash the Blu Kote off?

Hello LadyCogburn,

Can you show us pictures of the silkies hawk joints please? That might be able to help us better understand.

My apologies,

The feet

Sorry
They had no issues together when they were in the brooder together. Just last night apparently after we put them in their coop. There is a lot of room in there too.

Attachments

• 20230416_131112.jpg
    20230416_131112.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230416_131136.jpg
    20230416_131136.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 10
I would get a damp cloth and clean off all the blood. Then leave them in their old brooder until you can’t see the blood.
Make sure to keep their feet disinfected by keeping the brooder clean and dry.

I hope this helps. Keep us updated! :highfive:
StripeyThing_1

Chickens are individuals who each have their own personality, but certain breeds tend to be more aggressive and some tend to be more docile. You have one of each with the docile breed being smaller with interesting fluff for picking at. That of course is the silkies. The RIR falls near other end of the spectrum of Eggers. Any chicken could find silkie feet as something interesting to pick at, but with the general temperament of RIR I can see this being a likely issue. I personally have two coops. My mixed large fowl are in one coop and my Silkies and a few docile large fowl are in the other. I'm not saying this is a must for your situation, but please consider what your options are if a permanent separation is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom