Pecking at her tail, bleeding?

NewChic13

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 7, 2011
S. Lake Tahoe
HI,
My light brahma, 14 weeks old (ish), is pecking at her tail and pulling out her feathers, to the point that she made herself bleed. She isn't coming out of the coop and hanging out alone. Whats wrong with her, and what should I do?
hu.gif

Thanks!

Last edited:
I had a hen do this a buff Brahma actually, I was told it had something to do with an oil gland, I put no pick on it works great, and then give her a treat of scrambled eggs and some vitamin and electrolyte water or a bit of water down gatorade if it is what you have .. Good luck.
if you dont have No pick or cant get to it you can use vicks, doesnt work as well but will hold you till you get no pick..

You might want to keep her away from the other birds. I think that hens are oddly attracted to blood and can peck, and seriously harm, bleeding chickens. She might be staying away from them because of that. Other than that my guess would be mites. Good luck
hmm.png

Thanks for the responses, and the links:

I checked her for mites, I looked under her wings,her neck and near her vent. I don't see anything. Would they be visible? She seems to be very itchy, she keeps shaking her head and rubbing her face in the dirt. She was taking alot of dirt baths yesterday too. I separated her and tried to feed her some scrambled eggs. She won't even look at them. And I haven't seen her drink since I separated her. I cleaned the bloody spot with some warm water and a little peroxide. I don't know what else to do for her? Should I keep her separated all night?

Thanks again!
idunno.gif

Do you have some Sevin? I think I might dust for mites/lice even if they weren't visible due to her general itchiness. Of course, if she is infested, the others probably are too, but that is another issue.

Quote:

I got some sevin and some no peck. I dusted everyone and everything. All seems well again, and no more feather plucking. I guess it was mites. Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom