Pecking at me ?

jmtcmkb

Songster
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
New Hampshire
Is it normal for chicks to peck at you when you enter thier space? I have 5 chickens all are 7 weeks-- 2 run from me, 2 run to me, and 1 is cautious... one of the ones that runs to me is the most friendly ( barred rock) but now seems to automatically pecks at me when I go into the coop/run...the other friendly chick just jumps on my shoes or whatever to get close to me and is very verbal but in a nice way, she's looking for attention.

I hope this pecking doesnt mean this barred rock is a roo
sad.png

Edited to say:

What I have been doing is every time she does this is I pop very gently at her beak with my finger and firmly say "Hey no way you are going to peck at me
wink.png
"

Last edited:
Chickens peck, it's kind of their speciality, and if it weren't for their eggs I'd suspect it was their purpose in life.

It's like they're eternal 2 year olds, exploring the world with their mouths. You can't really blame them, since they're limited to using their beaks to interact with things.

"Hey, what's that speck?" *peck*

"Hey, that's interesting." *peck*

"Hey, I want attention" *peck*

"Hey, I'm more dominant" *peck*

"Hey, good night" *peck*

I've noticed there are different kind of pecks.

The three Dominiques that jump all over me/on me whenever I sit or otherwise have an available surface for them to get on will peck at me gently, like they do with each other when they're preening each other. I take that to mean " hey I'm glad I'm here, don't go away". These like to snuggle with me.

Sometimes when I feed them by hand (like seeds or green leaves) some of them will peck at my flesh in stead of the treat. These pecks grab actually a piece of my finger/skin and for that they get a peck on the head back with my other free hand. I've managed to wean a few off that habit, but that's an ongoing training.

Then almost all of them will peck at my pants legs when I enter into the run. I take that to mean "What'cha got! What'cha got! I wanna! I wanna!

They are also all tempted by my gold ring, one with a diamond. I really need to remember to take my rings off when I go in else I may loose my finger. The diamond is irresistible to them.

Quote:
Plus, "Hey. Hey! I said HEY! I want some of that!" *peck peck peck*

It's tough for 'em, not having hands to tug on your clothing.

Yep I agree! some of mine" talk" to me first and if I ignore them I get a tug on the pants and god help me if Im wearing shorts! LOL

I agree with all the peck purpose descriptions and have one to add. Our Buff Orpington (Goldie. Original,huh?) when its roost time in the evening comes to the back porch door which is glass, and gives the glass a " peck, peck......peck, pa-peck,pa-peck......peck!". This means...."lemme in in, lemme in!"' so we open the door and she walks in and gets on her roost til morning. Now that she has been laying for a week, it also means "lemme in so I can get in my nest box!". Yes, she has been coming inside for a week in the mornings to get in her nest box and lay.
hide.gif

Ok thank you all, now it makes sense, I was taking it as aggressive behaviour, but now I can see that may not be the case at all!

Back
Top Bottom