Pecking sores, fowl pox or something else?

TamiTrojan

Chirping
Jun 6, 2015
California
I live in an area that doesn't have very many "farm animal" vets, closest we come is an exotic animal vet. Does anyone recognize this? What is it? What do I do? Is it contagious? She is staying in her nesting box...but she's often broody, so that's hard to determine if it is a symptom or normal behavior. I'm worried about my little flock! Only this hen has whatever this is!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W53nEneIeFdAq67IvBAdG-Da1wJWJ-Mq
ren lifted comb small.jpg
ren right side small.jpg

Thank You!!

She's getting pecked on badly. Since she is staying in the nest box, I'd bet that the other hens want to use the same box. She wont move out of it and the others peck her.
Gently clean the affected area with betadine avoiding her eyes, then apply neosporin or triple antibiotic until healed.
I recommend that you break her broodiness unless you want her to set on eggs.
I've broken broodies by isolating them away from the flock for up to 10 days. Put the hen in a cage and provide her food and water, and keep the cage clean.

She's getting pecked on badly. Since she is staying in the nest box, I'd bet that the other hens want to use the same box. She wont move out of it and the others peck her.
Gently clean the affected area with betadine avoiding her eyes, then apply neosporin or triple antibiotic until healed.
I recommend that you break her broodiness unless you want her to set on eggs.
I've broken broodies by isolating them away from the flock for up to 10 days. Put the hen in a cage and provide her food and water, and keep the cage clean.

Thank you! Poor girl, I had only witnessed one minor scuffle, so I didn't know she was being picked on! I hadn't tried breaking her yet, as I wasn't sure if she was sick. The crazy thing is, the pecking order seems to have changed. She (Ranunculus) used to be near the top, and now, I think my tiniest hen (Pansy) is above her. Pansy sleeps on top of her! Pansy's a third of her size, so I can't figure out why Ranunculus allows it! I'll do what you suggested today. Boy, is she going to hate it! She hasn't much liked people since she was a chick that I had to splint her for spraddle leg! I think she's afraid I'll put her back in cups and braces, so she pecks at me!!! :) Guess I'll have to get a towel out to wrap her, and avoid her beak!
I usually can break the broody simply by locking them out of the coop for the day. They'll desperately try to get back in for an hour or so, and then they seem to literally shake it off, ruffle up and start scratching for food! Hope it works again!
Thanks so very much, I'm off to find betadine and neosporin (is that better than polysporin?).

Back
Top Bottom