Pedigrees

yaddaluvpoodles

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Having come from the world of dogs....how does one keep track of the "pedigrees" of their birds, how do you track offspring? Is there a registry for chickens/waterfowl?
Thanks,
Dar

I'm not certain for waterfowl because there is the whole "wild" aspect in some breeds, but in chickens no.

Chickens do not have pedigrees, but several breeders keep track of their breeder birds, offspring, sales, etc. It may be helpful to use the name of the previous breeder. For example, Mohawk Rhode Island Reds. It's not the variety, or even in the name, but people recognize the lineage of the birds but no, there is no registration of chickens required and no proof of parentage.

ETA: I keep track in a notebook, dates hatched, etc. Plastic-numbered bands help too.

Last edited:
Quote:
I show and breed Labs...I have the same question. I am trying to have an enjoyable mixed breed flock but my pure blood obsession is starting to take hold.

I love Poodles. Just lost a large toy boy. He was my house dog and I miss him tons.
sad.png

LOL.. I'm a poodle breeder also and wondered this when I bought my to Ameracaunas from a top show person.. We dog people are so used to see everything on paper and we HAVE to have proof of what we have that is just seems odd that is by word of mouth.. (so I was told). I'm curious as to answers on this question myself..

In the world of poultry, if a bird meets the standard, then it meets the standard. Pedigree or not. There is no registry, and there are many who do not know the background of their bird, expecially those new to the fancy.

That said, serious breeders do some amount of record keeping: some very detailed, some more general. Some keep records on paper, others on the computer.

Wow, who woulda guessed! Makes me feel all out of control not to have everything down in black and white. Hmmmm. Ok, I can handle this lack of pedigree stuff, I think I can, I think I can.

LanaRae--sorry for your loss! I lost my best, my favorite boy about 3 weeks ago to cancer. Broke my heart and life will never be the same without him. Seems like not a day goes by that I don't realize yet another little something he did for me or someway he was just "there" for me.

Back
Top Bottom