Pekin Bantum scaley feet?

Chickmama74

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Virginia
I just purchased 6 Pekin hens from a poultry sale local to me. The new hens are Pekin Bantum hens. Today I picked one up and noticed that her feet looked scaley. So I checked the rest of them and all their feet are like that. I was told that they are young and the reason why their neck feathers were not all in was because they were getting new ones. Adult feather. I looked at them and they looked broken and they are not really grown well. I am thinking that they have mites after looking on some posts here. I would like to know if there is something that I can do to get rid of the mites, if they are mites. I dont want to loose them so I need some help. I have them separated from my other hens. What can be done?

Could you post some pictures so that we can see what you are talking about? From your description, it does sound like it could be mites, though the feathers might actually just be growing in. I'd still treat for mites.

There are many treatments for mites and lice. You can try more natural measures, like using diatamaceous earth, or spraying a product called Poultry Protector on them. However, in my experience, these methods do not work all that well as treatments, more of preventative measures.

Sevin dust is likely the best idea. Get 10% dust if possible, not 5%. You can usually get Sevin quite easily at garden stores. Sprinkle it into the feathers near the vent, under the wings, and beneath the tail and neck feathers. This should get rid of most of the mites. Repeat the treatment in seven days to make sure that you kill any mites that have hatched from eggs.

As for the possible scaly leg mites, feather legged birds like Pekins get them all the time. Treatment consists of dipping the legs in mineral oil to smother the mites. You can also rub vaseline on them, or get a Scaly Leg Protector spray (similar to Poultry Protector).

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom