pekin duck help!!!

Nathanya

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 14, 2012
Woodstock valley,CT
I just got three white pekin ducks today for free from a local yard sale. They are all adults and i am not sure of the gender of them. i have never had ducks before and i am not prepared for them. I put a little tub outside and filled it with water for them to go into and i gave them some of my chicken layer feed. I dont have any fence or pen for them to stay in yet. Right now they are just free ranging and i am going to have to let them stay outside tonight by themselves which i am very nervous about. Please if anybody has any tips for me i would really appreciate it

Bring them into a bathroom, laundry room, something. If you have a walkout basement, just set aside a little 4'x4' area with some old towels or sheets. Really. I have seen some awful things happen to ducks left without a secure space outdoors. Connecticut has so many predators, they don't know that this is home yet, no, please get them in.

A dog kennel of any material will hold them. Walmart and Target both sell cheap pop up soft sided. Last I saw Target has some for around $20.00 each. An old towel or pine shaving in the bottom and they are safe and sound for the night.

Bath tub... Many have deep jacuzzi style tubs, an old towel and they will be OK for the night.

A very large box, or two storage totes. Anything you can zip tie or duct tape together to create a wall 2-3' high and add soft bedding to for them for over night.

I ended up finding a dog kennel and that is what I am putting them in at night. The diary night I kept them in my garage. Ufortunately yesterday morning at around 7 one was taken from a fox.

Back
Top Bottom