Pekin Duck...Seeking Guidance after Weeks with a Leg Injury

Could be a niacin def so try the liquid BComplex ASAP. Pekins are notorious for Niacin deficiencies and the best way to treat is with liquid BComplex at least if you start her on it and you see no change in a few weeks that can be ruled out. Sorry I misread . Is this from and injury or do you know? Here is info https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Very helpful, I tried doing this on my own, didn't think about aspiration. I put it on pellets and she eats it from my hand, so I went that route.

Thanks Lydia, I feel it was an injury, but it's possible she had a lack of niacin at this time as they had free rein to duck pellets or chick starter. I will run out and grab some durvet, can I use a syringe to squirt it in her mouth?
Is this ok to use? They do not have durvet in stock. Same dosage? Thanks!
1685022890224.png

Have you already opened this? If not and you bought it I'd take it back heres why
https://www.backyardchickens.com/re...tamin-b-12-liquid-with-vitamin-k-16-oz.10985/

It only has B12 which is a good vitamin for appetite stimulation but what your duck needs is all the B's so if you have this and want to use it that's fine and maybe order the Liquid B Complex many places online sell it.
I did not buy it, my gut told me to ask you first. :) I'll get my hands on the durvet. Thanks so much!

I'm not trying to be a know it all, but I do know that Liquid B Complex is like liquid gold to our ducks [waterfowl] who are having leg issues, lameness etc.
How's she doing today?did the boot make a difference?
TSC is still out, will order it online. I have not made the boot yet, will try to figure it out tonight. She is ok, moves well in the water, just keeping her penned safe with the food and water. The swelling seems to be decreasing I think. Do some ducks just need more B, or it helps heal faster? the niacin in the food isnt enough?

Especially Pekins since they grow super fast because they are considered meat birds so they want them dressed out by 12 weeks. So their poor legs just can’t seem to keep up with the growth. That’s where The BComplex comes in it can heal a niacin def faster than just plain niacin. And support leg injuries while they heal. She really needs that boot to get her foot laying flat and help her walk better. And hopefully keep her from eventually from getting something similar to bed sores. Her skin breaking down. Some ducks still need more niacin than what’s in their feed. Maybe they just don’t assimilate the niacin in the right way. And many Pekin owners keep them on the nutritional yeast all of their lives. So once one has a niacin def we use Liquid BComplex then once they are up and walking normally for a week or more then you can switch to something like Nutritional yeast to make sure they get the niacin they need daily.

Last edited:
The vitamin B just came ironically. I’ll be honest I haven’t done the splint yet. Will try tonight, long story. Is it possible that the boot will cause more hard than good if it’s been like that for too long? My wife doesn’t think it will work because her joint above the foot seems so stiff. Or will it work it back to usability? She’s ok, not too mobile but still struggles on her ankle. Otherwise doing good and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom