pekin duck struggling to walk UPDATE

duckmom216

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2023
My pekin seems to be walking more and getting himself in and out of the pool but sometimes he walks like this (video attatched). He only started struggling to walk a little over a week ago. Please if you know what could be the cause of this let me know! any advice would be much appreciated!!

Last edited:
poor baby i’ve never seen a foot just flop back like that. did he have an accident / injury or is this something that just came on gradually and he’s had a while? You said sometimes that happens - so do you mean sometimes it doesn’t??

poor baby i’ve never seen a foot just flop back like that. did he have an accident / injury or is this something that just came on gradually and he’s had a while? You said sometimes that happens - so do you mean sometimes it doesn’t??
I know it’s so hard for me to see :/ i’m thinking he injured it and i’m not sure how. he only started struggling to walk a little over a week ago so he stopped for a bit and now when he walks it sometimes flips over like that and i don’t want him to hurt it even more.. im not sure what to do

Could this be a neurological or vitamin deficiency? Have you tried giving any vitamin boosts as even if it's not, and it's an injury, they'd help him while he's healing.

Could this be a neurological or vitamin deficiency? Have you tried giving any vitamin boosts as even if it's not, and it's an injury, they'd help him while he's healing.
What do you recommend for vitamin boosts? He seems okay otherwise eating and drinking everyday.. I feed them the Purina duck feed and as treats they get mealworms and peas everyday

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-12-12 12-10-23.png
    Screenshot from 2023-12-12 12-10-23.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 2
also add nutritional yeast to the duck feed , 1 TB per cup of feed. @NFC perhaps move this thread to the ducks forum so more duck people see it?

My jumbo never got that bad, as soon as her foot started to turn inwards, she started getting peas soaked/injected with the niacin medication until it stopped and she turned 16 weeks. Then it went to 1-2 times a month until she passed. I'd think about making a sling to put them in so they aren't putting weight on the foot

Back
Top Bottom