Pekin Duckling limping after small tumble

ocsprinter

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Hi all! I just purchased a Welsh and a Buff online but then I got impatient and also bought a pekin at a small farmer's marketplace.

Two days ago I was setting her down and she jumped from my hand and fell onto the tile floor. It was a small fall, maybe a foot at the most. She has been walking with a slight limp after the fall, but it doesnt look broken, and she can walk ok. I have left her in her little brooder for the last day so she can heal, and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I just want to know if there is anything I can do to speed up recovery (besides not playing with her) or does she have to heal on her own? Again, it's just a slight limp and she doesn't seem to be getting worse....

New here BTW so glad to be a duck owner now!

I uploaded the video on youtube for your opinions....this was right after it happened.

Welcome to BYC!

It doesn't seem to bad especially since she's putting weight on it. I'd just make sure to keep an eye on her

I have a pekin that slipped on the ice this past winter. She stopped laying while she was healing but she did great. A lot of rest and then back to normal.

Something that can help leg problems is a nice, relaxing, tepid bath. It is very good for their spirits, and yours. Takes weight off the leg, lets muscles work and stretch.

Comfrey salve may help, also, but really just swimming in a warm tub will help quite a bit.

I like to give vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics to boost their systems if they have had any stress.

and
welcome-byc.gif

And for your Pekin:
hugs.gif
They are such fluffy huggable ducks!

thanks for everyone's replies....I will keep and eye on her and see what happens...A tepid bath for her at night sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom