Pekin ducks mating for the first time

Ours started the 'mating behavior' at the same point in time ... about 2 weeks ago. I have to look it up but i think that it takes about 28 days to start seeing eggs if they come at all. I have also been told that they will seldon tend for their eggs so if you want more baby ducks you will likely need an incubator or some kind.

The hop on top starts weeks before they are sexually mature. I have read that it is best, if you want to hatch eggs, to wait a while and not try to incubate the first ones she lays.

Also, watch carefully because some drakes are (unspeakable word) and get so aggressive while mating they kill the females by drowning or suffocating or injuring their necks. If your drake seems like he is overdoing it, immediately separate him and look into getting another few females, or finding him another place.

Thanks! So the question becomes, how agressive it too agressive? He is a bit rough with her but it is tough to say if she is being hurt. As they are about the same size she pops her head above the water when she has had enough and seems to be fine. Having one of each is about all I really want but I could get another female. This is in a residential neighborhood so they truly are pets and not a food source or egg source for anyone.

The boy is on top, most of the time. Ducks are uninhibited, seems to me, so there are all kinds of variations on the theme.

Ahem.

Anyway, it may be that he is so energetic that another couple of girl ducks would spread his attentions around. Even if she does not appear to be upset, it may be physically hard on her to be the only duck.

Much appreciated ... is the mating season 24/7/365? Or will this stop at some point? That should give me about all the info I need! Thanks so much! Scott

Mating seems to pick up steam in spring, but with many ducks, it appears to be a year 'round activity.

My runners seem to get a little stirred up right after I change their swim water.

Amiga did you get a drake? Just wondering I thought you had an all girl flock.
I still have all girls. They still get stirred up. Drake, or no drake.
roll.png

Oh ok I just thought I might of missed something. Oh no don't tell me that...lol. George likes a swimming pool raft. Its a short one with a pillow, she pecks at the pillow. As long as I don't let it touch the ground any where's around her I'm ok. The mallards are ok to so far. She was a lone duck imprinted on people I have heard sometimes they won't mate with ducks. She sure has took to the mallards though just like they are her babies. She spends all day at the creek with them. She doesn't like it when we get around them at all. Oh yeah not to sound cruel but yesterday I went out and a raccoon had been run over right in front of our house. Ok now tell aren't raccoons loners. Sorry for the high jack.

Aren't they funny creatures? We have not gotten to the mating stage yet, but are seeing signs of it. Our nly survivor of 12 from the hatchery (McMurray) arrived with 11 dead, he is named Lucky, and he of course imprinted with us while we awaited replacements. We did not know at the time he was a he, but now he has 12 females to deal with. They are just over 3 months old, but are exhibiting the mating behavior, head bobbing etc., but poor Lucky seems not to know what to do with himself. He walks around with his head tucked down, almost a timid stance, but stands up for himself. Almost like he wants to be invisible to the girls. He's a male for sure, the very low quack, and a curled tail. A sweetheart, he just goes with the flow. Will be interesting to see how he makes out LOL with all the women, but he does seem to be taking to one girl in particular, and she is receptive. Wonder how this will all work out. Anyone have this experience and how it ended? Thinking of having a wedding, put a little bow tie on him...

Back
Top Bottom