Pekin ducks mating for the first time

Mating seems to pick up steam in spring, but with many ducks, it appears to be a year 'round activity.

My runners seem to get a little stirred up right after I change their swim water.

Amiga did you get a drake? Just wondering I thought you had an all girl flock.
I still have all girls. They still get stirred up. Drake, or no drake.
roll.png

Oh ok I just thought I might of missed something. Oh no don't tell me that...lol. George likes a swimming pool raft. Its a short one with a pillow, she pecks at the pillow. As long as I don't let it touch the ground any where's around her I'm ok. The mallards are ok to so far. She was a lone duck imprinted on people I have heard sometimes they won't mate with ducks. She sure has took to the mallards though just like they are her babies. She spends all day at the creek with them. She doesn't like it when we get around them at all. Oh yeah not to sound cruel but yesterday I went out and a raccoon had been run over right in front of our house. Ok now tell aren't raccoons loners. Sorry for the high jack.

Aren't they funny creatures? We have not gotten to the mating stage yet, but are seeing signs of it. Our nly survivor of 12 from the hatchery (McMurray) arrived with 11 dead, he is named Lucky, and he of course imprinted with us while we awaited replacements. We did not know at the time he was a he, but now he has 12 females to deal with. They are just over 3 months old, but are exhibiting the mating behavior, head bobbing etc., but poor Lucky seems not to know what to do with himself. He walks around with his head tucked down, almost a timid stance, but stands up for himself. Almost like he wants to be invisible to the girls. He's a male for sure, the very low quack, and a curled tail. A sweetheart, he just goes with the flow. Will be interesting to see how he makes out LOL with all the women, but he does seem to be taking to one girl in particular, and she is receptive. Wonder how this will all work out. Anyone have this experience and how it ended? Thinking of having a wedding, put a little bow tie on him...

OK sorry the pic below is upside down but I am having a challenge with my photo editor and the dang iPhone images. The two about are about 18 weeks old and like to do the whole mating thing as soon as I let em out of their pen in the morning. They run straight to the pond and booooyahhhh ... anyway. Any ideas of what sex they are from these pics? The one in the back of the above image is always on the bottom but we don't know if they are both females that are a bit overactive or if we have a male and a female ... thoughts?

OK sorry the pic below is upside down but I am having a challenge with my photo editor and the dang iPhone images. The two about are about 18 weeks old and like to do the whole mating thing as soon as I let em out of their pen in the morning. They run straight to the pond and booooyahhhh ... anyway. Any ideas of what sex they are from these pics? The one in the back of the above image is always on the bottom but we don't know if they are both females that are a bit overactive or if we have a male and a female ... thoughts?

I don't see a drake feather on either one, at at 18 weeks I'd think you'd be seeing one.

Scott,

I've had my ducks since March (their yellow feathers were just changing) and they were born sometime in January. I was under the impression that I had all girls because I hadn't seen and drake feathers. At the beginning of June they started trying to mount one another, without any real preference. Suddenly, one day in mid-June, BOOM!!! THREE of my GIRLS had drake feathers!! I estimate mine to be around 27 weeks now, and they were about 20 weeks when the feathers popped up. Just last week, my first girl laid an egg, soft shelled and fragile. I was cleaning the shed 2 days ago and found a clutch of 11 eggs!!

They still have time to develop drake feathers, or you may have just gotten lucky. They will still lay eggs without a drake, just not necessarily as frequently.

Also, there IS a distinct difference between the quacks. The girls have a totally indignant, impatient quack, while the boys have a softer, more pleasant and unobtrusive quack. Their quacks sound more like a dinner conversation, the girls' sound more like an argument. XD

Back
Top Bottom