Pekin flock owners...

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
Odd question but here it goes... has your drake managed to cut open your ducks? i mean like badly, slice through her when dismounting during mating?

I seem to have this problem within what was my half dozen Pekin flock... I can honestly say this is a new one for me, as i have owned ducks for awhile now and do own other mallard derived(mainly a scovie owner) i've seen feather pulling... etc but unreal.

Anyways, i resorted yesterday after some unseasonable mild temps and him cutting open another duck to once again fix his nails(yes, i have done this before and NO they were not anything worrisome sharp) I have an electric nail filer so used that... to get them right down...

They are free ranged so get plenty of walking about and in among st a huge Scovie flock and in that their are some buffs and buff X's so some other 'quacking friends'

I find the whole thing rather bizarre, to be honest..

Pekin drakes can be large and clumsy. Is there any possibility that another drake may be pushing him off while he is mating the ducks? I have never dealt with this problem with drakes, but have had the problem with large and clumsy roosters.

Pekin drakes can be large and clumsy. Is there any possibility that another drake may be pushing him off while he is mating the ducks? I have never dealt with this problem with drakes, but have had the problem with large and clumsy roosters.

Yes, i have been watching... your right he is a big dope.. that said his girls are HUGE too.. mine actually come from strains from A large breeding farm that sells duck to the public.. so some strains are their own, others are European.

Most of the other ducks, mainly Muscovy are not interested in these Pekin ladies.. Though the flock is large i have flocks within flocks.. which i am sure you totally get my meaning.

GLad i am not alone with being stumped. It's gone massively cold again, so for now hopefully that will reduce any mating.. and the filing of his nails lessen the risk...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom