Pekin has a gash/cut on her leg; won't walk on it. Advice? Possibly broken?

onager

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
My five-month old Pekin cut her left leg right above her "kneecap" (real technical, I know
big_smile.png
) at about the 7 o'clock position (12 being the kneecap). I came out to her pen this morning and saw her sitting and not running out immediately as she normally does. After giving her a few prods, she stood up and kind of limped out, but being really careful about not putting any sort of pressure on that leg.

I cleaned her up with warm soapy water and put some Neosporin on the wound, although it was scabbed over already. Worth a try, right? She's now in the house and I'm trying to keep her as dry as possible. Her injured leg is also much, much warmer than her good leg.

Questions:

1. It had already scabbed over, which implies that it isn't a fresh wound?

2. I didn't see anything besides a cut on the leg. If a duck gets its leg cut and infected, will it be so painful it can't walk on it?

3. What if the leg is somehow broken? How can I check for that?

4. What else can I do?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

1. Yes, that means that it happened a while ago.
2. If it was a bad infection, possibly. However, it may just hurt her to stand on it because of location, which is likely because it is near her knee.
3. Usually, if a leg is broken, it will be at an odd angle and be very obvious.

Although it the wound may be infected, heat is also a sign of inflammation, and this is normal. Is there any swelling around the wound, and does it look red and is there any fluid coming from it? Then it could be signs of infection, although some drainage and irritation is normal.

I would give her a bath in a lukewarm tub deep enough to float in.

That will increase blood circulation (since this is probably not a fresh wound I think that is safe - just keep a close eye on it and if it starts to bleed, get her out and use compression on the wound . . .easier said than done, I know). It will take weight off the leg. It will help you see better what is going on.

Then I would apply an Epsom salts compress to the upper leg. Es is a laxative, don't let her drink it. But it reduces inflammation, has a calming effect, and can help the healing process.

After that I would apply some topical antibiotic (no pain reliever, that is toxic to ducks). And as you are doing, keep her as clean, dry and comfortably warm and quiet as possible.

If there appears to be a break, you would need to splint it.

Thanks for the replies. I've been putting on some Neosporin the past couple days, but I was afraid of giving her a warm bath. I just didn't want to risk it and the idea of stopping her bleeding, if she did, seemed too traumatic for me.

Anyhow, she still has a limp, but is much more willing to walk (limp) around. The scab on the gash looks like it's ready to fall off, which is probably good, but she's still limping; that worries me. Because she's still limping, it makes me think it's something a bit more serious and maybe she did indeed break her leg, but very slightly, and not noticeably at all.

Since she wants to roam around, should I let her a little bit?

I'm going to take her to the vet if she isn't better by Monday.

Thanks for the replies. I've been putting on some Neosporin the past couple days, but I was afraid of giving her a warm bath. I just didn't want to risk it and the idea of stopping her bleeding, if she did, seemed too traumatic for me.

Anyhow, she still has a limp, but is much more willing to walk (limp) around. The scab on the gash looks like it's ready to fall off, which is probably good, but she's still limping; that worries me. Because she's still limping, it makes me think it's something a bit more serious and maybe she did indeed break her leg, but very slightly, and not noticeably at all.

Since she wants to roam around, should I let her a little bit?

I'm going to take her to the vet if she isn't better by Monday.
I'd still give her limited space to walk around you don't want her to over due and have a set back since she is doing better. Now about swimming, it is great therapy and does wonders for building back muscle that have been damaged. if it not very cold where you are maybe set up a small pool for her outside just for the sake of therapy. but in indoor warm water bath she would probably enjoy alot too. if the scab is ready to fall off I doubt there would be any blood.

Back
Top Bottom