peking duck limping

junebug1389

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Fairfield, CT
My female peking has been limping on and off for about a month now. Is there anything I can do for her without going to a vet? I have her confined to reduce the risk of possible injury. I would love to hear what others have to say :) thank you!

You need to get a close look. She could have a thorn in her foot, or bumblefoot, or perhaps some other injury.

If it's not okay after a month of rest, she needs you to find out what is wrong and treat it.

Please try to get some photos of her leg and foot, top and bottom.

Get her into a lukewarm tub of water she can float in and observe how she moves her legs and feet.

Look closely at her feet - is there swelling, are the feet or legs unusually warm?

Well from the looks of things in a photo I'm about to post, her right leg,left side looking at the photo, is swollen compared to her left leg. I will post some pictures, I just have to get her to stay still.

Okay - if there is swelling - is there heat?

Something you can do in any case is make an Epsom salt compress and apply that for several minutes - regardless of the cause of swelling, that is a very helpful treatment.

Here are the photos of "Ducky" hopefully this can give you an idea of what may be happening. I think she may have bumble foot on her back right leg... but I'm not certain of this. I beleieve the last photo is of greatest importance.

Yes, I think it's bumblefoot, and here is what I would do.

I would follow the instructions on the first post on this thread (the rest is just discussion).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/807777/bumblefoot-new-ideas-on-treatment-with-pictures

I want to emphasize - clear iodine. Yes, clear. Also called yodo blanco. I got some at Walmart. Just a couple of drops, don't soak the foot in it. This is a non-invasive, effective way to deal with even a serious case of bumblefoot.

Meanwhile, because the leg is warm, that indicates that infection may be spreading, and I would get Duramycin10 and mix it at 1/2 tbls. per gallon for 7-10 days. That is based on a post I read on BYC.

That is what I would do. I am not a vet, just trying to share information, and I hope you can get this healed up quickly so you both will be happier.

I found Duramycin at the feed store.

Duramycin is an oral antibiotic, because the infection may be spreading to her bloodstream so she needs a systemic antibiotic, I think.

The clear iodine is to dab on the swollen spot(s) on the foot, after a good soaking of the foot.

Back
Top Bottom