Peking Duck newbie questions, incl. eye issue

aserrano

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 17, 2015
We have hatched 7 peking ducks for a school project with Kindergarten and 8th gr.
They are currently 3 weeks old. Within the last two days, the eyes (or around the eyes) for two of them has started to look different...like a wet or stlightly puffy ring around the eye. (see pics below) Not sure & worried what this might be...do they have a cold or eye infection? What can or should we do?
Following are some more details about them, their life so far & how we are keeping them.

They were born before Easter. We started them out in a 25 gallon plastic container (like rubbermaid) for a brooder w/ a heat lamp on top & a covering so ~ half would get shade, we use pine shavings for their bedding & change it twice a day). They have water to drink, & duck starter crumble available at all times.

Over Easter break we took them home where I think they had it pretty good. We moved them to a 50 gal. enclosure because they were growing so quickly. While we changed their bedding we let them into our large bath w/ shallow water to swim & play. Usually by the time we were finished cleaning their enclosure they had started to preen themselves so we put them back in the enclosure under the light. A couple of days when it was sunny out we put them into the back yard in a small enclosed area with water & food available.

Now after break, we have brought them back to school where their enclosure is in the Kindergarten classroom & 8th gr. students take care of them in the morning & I come to clean their enclosure at night & let them have a little water time in large shallow plant saucers.

I have plans to get them back to the breeder in ~ another month (unless I can arrange something earlier). They are growing so quickly that I fear & wonder how quickly they will outgrow their enclosure & where else I could put them? There is a fenced in picnic area that is not used much & I'd have to see if we could put them there during the day, but I think it is pretty shady & maybe a little cold still this early in the season (April 15th in NJ).
Any thoughts, advice, & help would be greatly appreciated
frow.gif

Please know that predators will come out of nowhere to get at ducklings. Not only do they need to be warm enough and out of the wind, but in an enclosure that will stand up to, for example, a pair of Rottweillers (I speak from experience - the Rotties could not get to my ducks, but they tried).

The eye problems may be due to them not being able to wash their entire heads.

Please see the head washer mentioned here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Thank you so much for your help.
wee.gif

We brought them home for the weekend, where they can swim in our tub & already their eyes are looking better. I'm going to see about bringing them home every night so they can get the needed bath time.

Back
Top Bottom