pellet vs crumble

piccolini

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
Camino, CA
I was wondering which type of feed is best. Pellet or crumble? I have heard people say before that the chickens will waste less if you buy the feed in pellet form. Is this true? And also, is crumble more expensive?
Thanks for the input:D

Our silkie hen always sneezes with the crumbles. She sort of inhales it when she eats. So, we usually buy the pellets. And Purina Layena pellets is our all time favorite, makes the best poops and the prettiest birds.

Other people have other favorites, I think it depends on what is available where you live.

I have bantams and standards. i find that the standards like pellets better and waste less. the bantams tend to be split 50/50 and if they prefer crumbles, it's kicked around and they won't touch it after it's been all over the ground. serious waste involvd there. I do feed a heavy sorghum/milo (minimal corn) wild bird seed along with it and of course that's always eaten first
barnie.gif

My chickens don't mind either of them but personally,at least during the winter,I like to use crumbles and mix them with hot water in the morning for them.It kind of turns into an oatmeal-like mush,warms them up, and it also makes it easier for the ducks to eat.

I started with crumbles and bought pellets by accident once. The chickens didn't care and I had almost no waste with the pellets. From then on out it has been pellets for me.

I started off feeding my girls Purina Flock raiser crumbles and it seemed like it would turn to dust and they wouldn't eat it. Once they began to lay, I switched to Purina Layena pellets and they seemed to like it just as well but it doesn't crumble and get wasted.

Waste is an issue with crumbles but some of my feed can only be had in crumbles.......... like chick starter, high pro conditioner and breeder ration. Otherwise pellets work very well and they don't break down into dust after being pecked in the feeders. Folks who feed crumbles for one reason or another have had good results with certain types of specialty feeders that prevent billing out, crumbles can also be more susteptable to storage issues, mold, moisture.

AL

If you really want to know how your chickens feel, put a bowl of each out and see what they eat first!
I put my crumbles in reproduction chamber pots I get off ebay, and 20 chickens never spill a drop. Had the chamber pots for 3 years now. Cheap and chipped is okay with me too.

Back
Top Bottom