Pendeseca crossed with BCM?

Cookiejen

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
Moorpark, CA
Hi everyone! Has anyone ever crossed a BCM with a pendeseca? I want to try for very dark eggs and think it might be a cool experiment. I have a handsome pendeseca roo and a beautiful BCM. Thoughts?

I've not tried it but it sounds like a good idea if you want dark eggs and don't care if you have pure breeds or not. And the female offspring would hopefully be better layers than BCMs and less flighty than Pendesecas.

Thanks! Would the genetics work out properly for the very dark eggs (both purebred )? I know there can be recessive and dominant genes. Neither would have a "trick" gene that would mess with dark color as its a dominant gene, correct?

Thanks! Would the genetics work out properly for the very dark eggs (both purebred )? I know there can be recessive and dominant genes. Neither would have a "trick" gene that would mess with dark color as its a dominant gene, correct?
It depends on the specific genetics of the parents, which is pretty well impossible to tell in the rooster until he fathers hens. But I'd say you have a really strong chance of getting dark eggs from any female offspring of that cross.

It depends on the specific genetics of the parents, which is pretty well impossible to tell in the rooster until he fathers hens. But I'd say you have a really strong chance of getting dark eggs from any female offspring of that cross.

Wonderful! Thanks so much I'll give it a whirl and update

Years ago Marans were crossed with pendeseca. the Marans breed is still cleaning up the damage. if you do this, be very sure that you let anyone who buys chicks from you know that these are crossbred chicks and will throw a multitude of improper looking chicks. they should **never** be bred back into the Marans. It is taken years for the Marans to breed out the troubling traits the pendeseca brought into it. We still see birds to this day with those problems.
best Karen

Years ago Marans were crossed with pendeseca. the Marans breed is still cleaning up the damage. if you do this, be very sure that you let anyone who buys chicks from you know that these are crossbred chicks and will throw a multitude of improper looking chicks. they should **never** be bred back into the Marans. It is taken years for the Marans to breed out the troubling traits the pendeseca brought into it. We still see birds to this day with those problems.
best Karen
Thanks for the advice and history. Please know I would never attempt to pass of the chicks as anything other than mixed backyard. I am not planning on selling any of the offspring, they will stay in my flock or go to one of 2 friends' mixed flocks. I promise all my BYC buddies these won't make it out into the breeding gene pool

Back
Top Bottom