Pendulous crop

Roseynose

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
So I have a 13-14 week old pullet. She started out with a problem of eating a full bowl of grit. I treated her for several days with nothing but water to help her remove the grit until her crop was empty. I put her back and then she filled her stretched out crop with food (all the food). After that I kinda gave up and figured she just is going to kill her self. I've been sick myself so I haven't been able to do much. now she is not really eating alot but filling on water which seems good maybe she is regulating. But it's now a like a huge balloon. It feels like it's full of liquid and a little food on the bottom. Will she live through this? Is there anything else I can do without the need for a vet?
IMG_20220827_165501048_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220827_165410240.jpg
    IMG_20220827_165410240.jpg
    742.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220827_165259235_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220827_165259235_HDR.jpg
    795.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220827_165501048_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220827_165501048_HDR.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 8
How is she doing?
She is acting ok except she sits alot. I'm guessing because the weight of her crop. I let her out sometimes to forage and she snacks on grass a bit. She drinks so much water but she has a odd way of drinking not like the others. She pecks the water over and over. The others scoop and lift there heads to let the water go down.

Poor sweet freyah chicken couldnt get up the ramp to her coop. I put her to bed and she pushed herself under her buddy elenor like a baby chick. She is making destressful sounds. I want to just cry. I dont know how to fix it. I dont think anything is moving, not sure if she is pooping, the crop is so swollen i feel like massage would pop it

Last edited:
Is she able to poop? You may need to crate her overnight on puppy pads so you can get a look at what's coming out.

Is vet care an option?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
She does but very little bit. I cant take her to a vet because thats no where near our budget. I put her in a plastic bin with a cup of water and a cup of mollasses mixed with water. She drank some of the mollasas water and now just water.The artical someone posted above mentioned it so its worth a try. Now recently she has been puking which ive never herd of chickens doing?! Its nasty yellowish sour stinky thick paste full of sand and other bits, she must have found the sand by the stepping stones. she keeps puking but now im able to massage her crop as its slightly less full. i think im going to keep isolating her with nothing until she is well. I made her a crop bra. If she gets through this and her crop deflates i think i will keep her in a seperate kennle with only the amount of food and water she needs and no bedding or anything for a week after in hopes she stops her eating everything habbit.

Do you provide grit for your chickens? (crushed granite)

Eating sand, she likely was trying to find grit. Anyway, hopefully the molasses flush will help. I'd leave the molasses water for her to finish up before she drinks the plain water. This might help if there's a blockage.

A stinky, thick paste coming up, her crop is sour, so I would begin treating that with a yeast medication. Don't massage a sour crop.

Th
Do you provide grit for your chickens? (crushed granite)

Eating sand, she likely was trying to find grit. Anyway, hopefully the molasses flush will help. I'd leave the molasses water for her to finish up before she drinks the plain water. This might help if there's a blockage.

A stinky, thick paste coming up, her crop is sour, so I would begin treating that with a yeast medication. Don't massage a sour crop.
thats what started this whole thing. She ate a whole bowl full of grit. It was right after day after day of over 100 degree weather.

Back
Top Bottom