Penicillin for pekin

jasonvanorder

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2017
West Michigan
Posted this in the emergencies section too but figured more wouldn’t hurt

I have a pretty sick pekin duck. A couple weeks ago we noticed she had a bumblefoot. We’ve been trying to clear that up. Got it opened and have been cleaning daily and soaking in epsom salt. Today she is very lethargic and her bull is really warm and she just overall looks weak. We have a bottle of penicillin g but am having a hard time finding a dosage. So far I’ve found .15ml/pound all the way up to .5ml total. She weights about 5 pounds. Thanks for any info. Sadly no vets around us work on poultry so that’s kinda out

maybe you can call a vet, even if they aren’t close enough to take the duck? that way you can ask them and maybe they can give you an idea of what dosage she needs

I had to do this for one of my ducks once when they were attacked by coyotes. I used 0.15 ml per pound with 22 gauge needles, every other day. Google how to give intramuscular injections to birds. It’s pretty easy and it really helped our birds out. Good luck!

I had to do this for one of my ducks once when they were attacked by coyotes. I used 0.15 ml per pound with 22 gauge needles, every other day. Google how to give intramuscular injections to birds. It’s pretty easy and it really helped our birds out. Good luck!
I’ve given one of our chickens shots before so that’s not an issue. Unfortunately we were too late and we lost her. She went downhill so fast. She was fine Friday afternoon and by mid morning just real lethargic but still trying to eat and drink. By about 9 last night she could hardly keep her head up. I was able to hold and comfort her at the end. Sure does suck

I’ve given one of our chickens shots before so that’s not an issue. Unfortunately we were too late and we lost her. She went downhill so fast. She was fine Friday afternoon and by mid morning just real lethargic but still trying to eat and drink. By about 9 last night she could hardly keep her head up. I was able to hold and comfort her at the end. Sure does suck
I'm so sorry....
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom