Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

hit.gif
i sold my dexter cow tonight,
oh no! :(

ok so question:
i have a window in my coop about 1.5ftx1.5ft. How do i prevent drafts without compromising ventilation?
I have tried two different techniques.....................

one idea-----I put clear and thick plastic sheeting over the window yet did not secure the top seam so that heat could escape and air come in and out.................I wanted the light and the prevention of wind/ drafts

second idea ----I made a wood like shutter and attached with hooks in front of the window. The wood has gaps all around the edges yet big wind drafts or wet winds would be limited. I can also tip up the wood so that it is sort of an awning like thing. The hooks I used are like the ones you hang mugs on in your kitchen...........so I can just take off the wood shutter in the summer, as needed.

I may combine the plastic and the wood if its artic...............right now I am just using the wood on two hardware cloth window openings I have.

Just for fun I mod podged one shutter with some paper to make a little design.............I needed a leisure diversional.....totally unnecessary activity..........it was fun and I like the result.................I will post pictures at some point..............overall its very low tech..........

RB:

Weather stripping around the edges...my two cents

Isn't weather stripping to prevent drafts and help your window shut tight if it is closed? Mine is just a gap with some hardware cloth lol.

I have tried two different techniques.....................

one idea-----I put clear and thick plastic sheeting over the window yet did not secure the top seam so that heat could escape and air come in and out.................I wanted the light and the prevention of wind/ drafts

second idea ----I made a wood like shutter and attached with hooks in front of the window. The wood has gaps all around the edges yet big wind drafts or wet winds would be limited. I can also tip up the wood so that it is sort of an awning like thing. The hooks I used are like the ones you hang mugs on in your kitchen...........so I can just take off the wood shutter in the summer, as needed.

I may combine the plastic and the wood if its artic...............right now I am just using the wood on two hardware cloth window openings I have.

Just for fun I mod podged one shutter with some paper to make a little design.............I needed a leisure diversional.....totally unnecessary activity..........it was fun and I like the result.................I will post pictures at some point..............overall its very low tech..........

I might try that second technique, thanks!
And let me know how everything works for you!

ok so question:
i have a window in my coop about 1.5ftx1.5ft. How do i prevent drafts without compromising ventilation?

You can make or buy a section of louvered door to hang over it.... the frame is thick wood, such as 1x1 and the slats are set into the frame at a downward angle to the outside. It allows the airflow but breaks the straight wind. You could then add an old towel to the inside of it, hung from the top corners to about 2/3 way down, it will further baffle the wind but still allow airflow.

To make them, you can use pieces of old yard sticks for the louvers... that is what I did for a repair on one. Find old yardsticks laying around and cut it to length....

Great Pics! I love that you brought a chicken in.

Barbie best of luck to you and your son, I hope this doc straightens things out for you.

We went on a hay ride at the Bates Motel last night, SCARY!!! Let's just say, it's a good thing they put hay down and next year....Depends are in order.
Oh my goodness !! hahahaha...
Danielle, what will you plant for your chicken garden?
Now, I have alot of these 'flowers' already around..so I will take a bit from what I have, which will also help with cost. okay..a few ideas of plants/seeds for them:
Comfrey Purple cone flower(echinacea) Marigolds
Wheat-grasses Amaranth(tall) Jerusalem Artichoke..(grown in a container because it is aggressive)
Sunflowers-seeds Pumpkins Buckwheat & Cow-peas (cover crops)
Blackeye susans Swiss Chard/lettuces (the ind that come back after cutting/leaf) Mangels (fodder beets)
Also growing dwarf fruit trees..Apple / Cherry / Peach
Going to have an area for these plants, probably starting on a smaller scale first to see what is going to work with minimal effort...time/space etc...and which has the most benefits for these particular girls. They are very picky..i didn't make them that way, they just are! crazy chickens...Anyway, just a few things to start off with and with some in-put from others as to what works well for them, I should have results..fingers crossed. Alot of these items are started from seed, so cost will be extremely low.. DH found some very nice old windows that will work well for 'hot boxes', start early spring growing.
LMP....you must share some of those tofu recipes...I used to work with a girl that brought chunks of bar b que tofu it was so good.
okie-dokie....will need some time on that though...i got my hands in alot of jars right now
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom