Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I must get over the fear of using the pressure canner.....all I can see is the messes my grandmother made years ago,,, some of them on the ceiling
amen, altho it was my momma, and only once, she was cooking dried lima's, thank goodness we were outside when it blew, beans everywhere, devil of a time getting them off the ceiling
ep.gif

I have found that my birds get tender enough to fall off the bones the way I have been doing them. I use the biggest soup pot I can find. Put a couple birds in. Whole or pieces both work. I then add water & chicken bullion or broth to completely cover them. Bring to a boil. Lower heat & cover. Let simmer 12-24 hours or untill meat is visibly falling off bones. Pour off broth & use for soup, noodles, etc. Strip carcases & discard anything you don't want. My bones all go to the cats. I then shred or chunk the meat. It can be frozen or canned for later use. Takes up much less freezer space this way as well.

12-24 hours... Soundsl ike a job for Slow Cooker Man and Crockpot Boy. :)

I do have a pressure canner but have never used it.......how do I go about this, would like to so the stock and fat also......could someone send me details or even a link that shows step by step

When I can mine, first I put them in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes, which makes the meat easier to strip from the bones. I only can breast and thigh meat. Wings and legs just get tossed into the stockpot, where they add a lot of flavor and richness. After roasting, I pull the breast & thigh meat off the bones, remove skin & pack into wide mouth pints. Add a quarter teaspoon of salt to the jar, then add enough stock or water to fill within 1 inch of the top. Process according to the directions for the canner, or here http://msuextension.org/publications/HomeHealthandFamily/MT200905HR.pdf if you don't have the book.

Put the removed skin into the stockpot, along with wings, legs and the rest of the carcass. Gizzards and hearts can go in, too, but not livers. Cleaned feet add a lot of flavor and body to the stock. Cover with cold water, plus about an inch of water over the level of the bones. Add a glug of vinegar to help pull the calcium from the bones.  For added flavor, add a couple unpeeled onions, a stalk of celery or big pinch of celery seed, a carrot or two, a big pinch of thyme, whole peppercorns and a couple bay leaves. Starting in cold water helps pull more flavor from the bones than starting with hot. Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer for about 3 hours. Longer simmering makes it taste stale, IMO. Then, I stain the stock into a clean pot ans refrigerate or put outside overnight no chill and make the fat easy to remove. Too much fat can interfere with a good seal, so I remove it. Then process per recommended times/pressure.

A heat lamp bulb on the other hand will retain heat for a short time even after the electricity fails, possibly enough to start a fire if it is knocked over.  I highly recommend a secondary stand or attachment method.

We run a metal hook into the building structure, then hang lights with metal chain like you use for swingsets.

Speaking of processing, we've got 2 old roosters and 3 or 4 six month old cockerels to butcher. 

For  a gourmet experience, brown a cut-up old rooster, then put it into a large casserole dish. Add chunks of onion & carrot, cover with wine and/or tomatoes, plus mushrooms and Italian seasonings. Bake at 300 for several hours, til fork tender.  This is authentic coq-au-vin.

Excellent Post, lotsa great info.

I have found that my birds get tender enough to fall off the bones the way I have been doing them. I use the biggest soup pot I can find. Put a couple birds in. Whole or pieces both work. I then add water

12-24 hours... Soundsl ike a job for Slow Cooker Man and Crockpot Boy. :)

That would work too. I just do too much at once for my little crock pot.

amen, altho it was my momma, and only once, she was cooking dried lima's, thank goodness we were outside when it blew, beans everywhere, devil of a time getting them off the ceiling
ep.gif
My Mom makes an awesome chicken stew over rice in the pressure cooker. One of my most terrifying childhood memories is of a piece of carrot getting stuck in the steam vent on top. The weight stopped jiggling and that thing blew right off. Shot the weight right up through the stove hood and through the roof of the trailer we lived in. Sooooo glad looking back now that's all that happened. It could have been a lot worse if the pot itself had blown. It took me a long long long time before I'd use a pressure cooker.

Ok, ya'll have me terrified to use my steam cooker now.

And on a side note, I HATE school! I Can't stand handing my precious children over each day to people who so obviously do NOT have their best interest in mind! I wish it was summer FOREVER.

Ok, ya'll have me terrified to use my steam cooker now.

And on a side note, I HATE school! I Can't stand handing my precious children over each day to people who so obviously do NOT have their best interest in mind! I wish it was summer FOREVER.

B:

Pinky bet I hate comcast more than you hate your school.....maybe you should volunteer to do some preasure cooking at the school....

Quote:

I lost a favorite chook yesterday, she was our 'shoulder bird', preferring to roost on my shoulder when I came to collect eggs. Just breaks yer heart. I'm glad I can come in here and get a smile. Picturing Wing converting a Mormon is priceless, and Danielle....pictures of DH's backside? Too funny.
I am very sorry you lost her. I just found my bantam Cochin. She is my first predator casualty. I don't know what got her. I know it is my fault for not fixing a gap at the bottom of the pop door.
And if anyone is wondering why I just now found her, I don't go into that room until I collect eggs.

Stake, I have a "I hate DirecTV" story that includes Verizon. The 2 companies offer a bundle pkg. Unfortunately, they can never figure out who deals with what, and that is where the trouble starts. I won't get into it, but I am fed up with them. Looks like I will be going back to Dish soon. Comcast was my first choice.
Anyone wanting to use a pressure canner, Don't be afraid! The canners that were blowing up have been replaced by safer canners and knowledge. I visited the American (brand) canner site. There is an article and a video to explain pressure canners, and how to use them. I am now looking forward to Christmas, and getting my pressure canner. I don't think it will be American (too pricey right now) but I am no longer afraid.

Back
Top Bottom