Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hello neighbor! You're pretty close to me. I have found the best prices on Tea tree oil from puritans pride www.puritanspride.com. They usually have a buy 3 get 2 free deal or something like that. You can dilute it at least 50% in another carrier oil and it still be effective. Something like cheap olive oil or canola would work, but a thinner oil like grape seed or sesame is easier to operate in a sprayer. Diluting it in water doesn't work as well because the oil can not emulsify (water and oil don't mix). There are a few books on the subject, check your local library.

Hey neighbor...thanks for the info!

I agree with both of you. As much as I love the chicks, I do not want a weak or sick flock.

I do have a question for Troyer.... do you have separate pens for each hen, or how do you know which hen laid which egg? I only started raising chickens 3 1/2 years ago, so I am still learning so much.
I usually have only 1 - 2 hens in a breeder pen and I knew which hen laid each egg, so I took the other hen out and let this hen lay her eggs in private (no stress). I wanted to give her as much of a chance as possible because I really wanted chicks out of her.
When I run into problems it's worth it to me to separate them like this. I do have a specific breed that I focus 80% of my time on, so it's profitable to me to breed only the most hardy.
I acknowledge that to some of us, possibly even to some of us on this thread this idea could easily seem harsh because the hens and chicks can't help it that they are one of the weak ones or that they produce weak offspring. I am very actively breeding for hardiness and vigor so that I'll have less and less of these things going on, therefore having to cull less birds because they're so much more healthy.
I am getting rid of 2 pairs that were bred like this as they don't quite fit my criteria as breeders. They are perfectly healthy and have never even had a sniffle that I am aware of. If I didn't have better birds to breed from I would keep them.

Quote:
No need to apologize for breeding for health! Mother nature kept things in line for eons... it is humans who have messed it up. Breeding for appearances before health, vigor and even breeding vitality and ability. I am not a fan of animals who have features so exaggerated that they now need surgical assistance to breed or birth effectively... or have daily problems with breathing or eating... unfortunately, breeders who worry more about the long term health, well being and practicality of animals are often the minority anymore.

Hi all. We are new to chickens and we are having a blast with them! We are from central P.A. six chickens..so far

Chick question. Last night I turned their light out for bedtime and they seemed to handle it fine. I kept a small nightlight on for a little bit so they could find their place. Tonight, when I turned out the lights, it seems like chaos, everyone is upset and "protesting". Is this normal? Am I correct to just start keeping the light off? They are inside and we keep the heat no lower than 68. They are a month old and seem to be able to keep warm. They keep freaking out, and flapping around. Any suggestions from any of you night owls?

Chick question. Last night I turned their light out for bedtime and they seemed to handle it fine. I kept a small nightlight on for a little bit so they could find their place. Tonight, when I turned out the lights, it seems like chaos, everyone is upset and "protesting". Is this normal? Am I correct to just start keeping the light off? They are inside and we keep the heat no lower than 68. They are a month old and seem to be able to keep warm. They keep freaking out, and flapping around. Any suggestions from any of you night owls.
I usually start turning it off during the day and get them slowly used to it before I do it at night.

Last edited:
I am selling my wheaten and blue wheaten Ameraucana if anyone is interested before I put an ad on Craigslist. They all got to go, beautiful birds! I just want mottled more! Please PM if you are interested or have any questions, Thanks

Back
Top Bottom