Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Duckling #1 from the eggs Troyer's wife talked me into. Troyer, when should I drop them off?

Howdy from Chester Co.....thats a tad west of Philly.....A few folks in your area with some nice chooks....are you looking for heritage or production...

Heritage I think- I am just starting off with 2-4 backyard hens and I have little kids, so friendly breeds like Orpingtons would be ideal. Thanks!

Quote:
Hey, I'm in Beaver County, just north of Pittsburgh... a friend of mine just over the border in WV posted on FB today that she's selling her 4 chickens along with their coop. She has 3 young kids and her birds are really friendly, 18mo and she says she gets 3-4 eggs a day. Not sure what breed (edit - 3 golden comet, 1 buff orp)... I wonder if I can copy her photo from FB - I can pass along your/her info if you want.

10531434_10152610884123826_156791836119927011_o.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey, I'm in Beaver County, just north of Pittsburgh... a friend of mine just over the border in WV posted on FB today that she's selling her 4 chickens along with their coop. She has 3 young kids and her birds are really friendly, 18mo and she says she gets 3-4 eggs a day. Not sure what breed (edit - 3 golden comet, 1 buff orp)... I wonder if I can copy her photo from FB - I can pass along your/her info if you want.

10531434_10152610884123826_156791836119927011_o.jpg
That would be awesome! Thanks!

No egg today. :( I expect at least 2 tomorrow since it's my birthday.
I do plan on scrambling the 4 I have gotten so far for brunch. They're soooo cute.
Happy birthday!! Hope you get the eggs today.
Originally Posted by Blarneyeggs
Quote: I'm in Erie. Nice to see some more people up my way! (Can't remember if I said "howdy" yet lol)

Last edited:
[COLOR=0000FF]Duckling #1 from the eggs Troyer's wife talked me into. Troyer, when should I drop them off?[/COLOR]
Cute little thing! Bring them over Sept 12th and we will take them along to Green Dragon for you. ET
What breed are these ( Ancona?), I may be interested instead of taking them to auction. Thanks for the grain info, I am also having issue's with them not eating the barley lately, thinking about using barley for fodder trays instead of in the mix, still on the fence about what grains to add. Keep me posted if you find a source for field peas. I asked hubby about planting field pea's....he just laughed and said he doesn't even know where to get the seed at, he knows nobody that plants them.

Last edited:
Grrrr. The last week or so I've been getting less and less eggs. I've noticed wet yolk in the nest boxes. At first I thought maybe a shell less egg but now it's happening everyday. What do I do to stop an egg eater? I have no idea who is doing it! They have plenty of food and nest boxes (they just all like to use the same one!).

Keep me posted if you find a source for field peas.

I asked hubby about planting field pea's....he just laughed and said he doesn't even know where to get the seed at, he knows nobody that plants them.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/drypea.html
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-766-field-peas.aspx#

Let us know how they grow.

When he said he would give it a try if he had the info, he meant by the acre, my research shows a heavy seed rate, would need 50 pound bags...
Thinking he also meant enough to make it worthwhile for the combine to come in and take it off...

I would also need to know how to store this by the ton

Could pea's be put in for a overwinter crop, planted in the fall after tobacco comes off, ...these are the things he asked me, and I can not answer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom