Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Cubalaya cockerel that I like a lot, but won't be able to keep. Do any of you want him? It's the one in the foreground.

I am hesitant to completely depopulate as it will not guarantee eradication of the disease. We do not buy in chicks or birds, so the disease must have come from the wild bird population, and I obviously can't control that. I'm also not ready to say, well, we will just not have any poultry here...ever again. I know for sure that all of the Wyandotte will be culled as that is the pen where the sick bird was. We just started with the Wyandotte 2 years ago, but It's hard to throw away years of breeding and selecting of the Olive Eggers, Marans and Orpingtons. We have some favorites that we do NOT want to part with either...no easy solution to this.

My daughter had a complication after being discharged from HUP, we weren't home 4 hours and were right back in the ER. Chester County hospital this time, so much closer to home. 3 days there and she's finally home again and looking awesome! I really appreciate all the support you've given me and ll the prayers for Devan. They seem to be working.
hugs.gif

Good luck to your daughter. May the road ahead be all downhill.
Just a thought. From all the reading I've been doing, I think you may well be on the right track to not totally cull. If you breed from the healthiest birds you have left, hopefully you may be passing on a natural immunity some of your birds may have. The ones who sicken and die will have taken themselves out of your gene pool.
Just read something similar in a borrowed book. Can't remember the author, but his first name might have been Paul.
Beautiful eggs in your picture, too. I hope to make more OE next year.
Question: What is the egg in the upper left? It's paler with freckles. Interesting.

Wish us luck and send us good thoughts please. We're processingan extra roo for the first time today and I'm an emotional wreck.

You will do fine.... it will be hard, but it is a needed thing when managing flocks and I would rather know that my rooster has led a good life, and met a merciful end rather than some of the alternatives they could go through.
The meat will be well appreciated, though maybe not for a couple of days or even longer.
The emotional upset is totally understandable, but you can do this.
hugs.gif

He's beautiful!!! Why are you getting rid of him? Love to have him but I know you're to far away.
I am fading out of this color and focusing primarily on whites, blacks, blues and silvers. I just saw today that he has some white in one tail feather, which is a serious disqualification. If I didn't want to shift my focus to the whites, I would definately keep him for further breeding. I am also starting to breed bantam Cubalaya in whites, blacks and silvers, so I need all the room I can get for these colors. For example here are some whites that I am keeping.
Large fowl cockerels.

This is a bantam pullet.

Large fowl pullet.

Dominant white 2 year old cockbird.

Bantam pair.

2 Large fowl cocks.

An up and coming silver cockerel.

You will do fine.... it will be hard, but it is a needed thing when managing flocks and I would rather know that my rooster has led a good life, and met a merciful end rather than some of the alternatives they could go through. 
The meat will be well appreciated, though maybe not for a couple of days or even longer. 
The emotional upset is totally understandable, but you can do this. 
:hugs

Thanks everyone. He is gone now and in the cooler. It was a very hard thing for me. I was ok once he was dead but the whole killing him part was extremely difficult for me. It's just not in my nature. I'm not sure if we did everything right or not but it seemed harder than it should've been. Hubby did most, I just read instructions from the book and helped pluck feathers. It's going to take me a while to get over this emotional part.

I need some help. I was out with my chickens and I noticed my rooster was breathing with his mouth open, so I picked him up and I could hear him breathing. He is eating and drinking and is acting normal. Yesterday I added a bale of pine shavings. Could the dust from that affect him? Lots of times he does not shut his mouth fully. He is a salmon faverolle I got from Beaglady and is around 22 or 23 wks old. This the first I have had any problems with my chickens. I tried to look in his mouth but he didn't cooperate and of course bit me. His comb and wattles are bright red like normal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom