Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I've only seen my birds breathe this way when they are very hot and or stressed. I wish I had more help for you. How is he doing today? If he's better, maybe he had a scare that you didn't notice and was reacting to it. If he's still not well, I would separate him from the rest of the flock if you're able, until you figure things out.

@LMP thanks so much for directing me to that article. I hadn't read that one before. I'm not gonna lie, made me feel like donning a dunce cap, lots of technical and scientific wording there that went WAY over my head. But I did get some helpful info. Makes me lean more toward depopulating.... We get my daughter's pathology report tomorrow. If she needs chemotherapy then I will be depopulating.

@Lisa, the disease is spread through fecal matter. The danger to my daughter would be anything that's brought into my house, shoes, eggs, gloves, ect... As she would never, in my wildest dreams, be described as 'the outdoorsy type' and therefore does not venture any further outside than the deck. I have no idea how that happened, perhaps a mix up at the hospital..
wink.png
We try to be careful, but there are always going to be tracings that find their way in. Example:

Me: 'Shane! Shane!...SHANE!! Take your shoes off!'

Shane: 'Okay, Grandmom.' -continues running through the house with shoes on.
barnie.gif

B:

Hope the report goes well for Devan....and I really hope you don't have to lose your flock(you have a bunch of 'keepers'). If you need a hand, setting up a new coop/pen, give a shout...I built my second coop/pen in 24hrs...all item available at HD, except the pallet crate)....

Quote: Today he seems ok. Sure had me scared. I even brought him in the house for my husband to see since he grew up on a farm. He said he only saw that in the summer. I think maybe it was something in the air or he was running around to much. (my husband uses a wheel chair so he can't get out to the chickens. No ramps. Hoping to get some installed when we have the money) Thanks for your help.

humm, seems like they set their eggs and if set too low, they get snowed under....has any scientific types ever studied this?

I'm sure someone has. They love to disprove all the old folklore. Week, sometimes they find some truth to it. Don't know about this one. I do know I had a bumper crop of mantis this year, so they did something right last year.

I'm still waiting for all the leaves to fall from my hybrid poplar so I can take cuttings and start more. I put 100 in this spring as future firewood and buffer in my big flood plain.

That happened to her when she was a year old. We think someone kicked her really hard or ran her over with their car. She didn't have any road rash on her so we will never know what happened. She is 4 years old now. She used many of her 9 lives. We found her almost dead with her litter mates by my front porch at around 2 weeks old. We kept her as an outside cat to keep the mouse population in check. After her accident, I tried to make her an inside cat, she hated that and tried to kill all the humans. She is much happier as an inside/outside cat. She doesn't seem to be in pain and still jumps and climbs. The only place that bothers her is the bone that migrated to her spine. We just don't touch that spot. She seems to be pain free and doesn't limp at all. I am glad I didn't listen to the first vet and put her to sleep. She just doesn't trust people now.
geesh, she has had it rough!...well, she has you and that is very good..as far as trusting "others", can't blame her after all that..

Gorgeously always. How many Roos do you have? Are the cubalyas for show or laying or meat primarily?
Cubalaya are my main breed and by January 1st, I should have my breeding pens set up. I will end up with approximately 18 breeding roosters and just as many hens. Cubalaya are supposed to be a dual purpose "meat and eggs" breed. Until several years ago there were very few breeders that bred them for anything but show birds. Now we have a few breeders in the US that are trying to get them back to a dual purpose breed that will also be able to compete in shows. A major problem has been that they are too small according to the SOP "Standard Of Perfection". 2014 has been a great year for me as far as making a lot of progress. I have added another breed to bring up the size and it has seemed to work quite well. I think that the meat has excellent flavor and texture. If you are used to eating meat from the Cornish X, you will probably think this meat is a bit tough/chewy, but I look for meat that has a good flavor of it's own, not necessarily needing any added flavors. Most of the time we will add some sort of flavoring as I am not the only one eating it.
hmm.png

As of right now they are generally used for showing, but I am working on once again making them a dual purpose breed.

I'm sure someone has. They love to disprove all the old folklore. Week, sometimes they find some truth to it. Don't know about this one. I do know I had a bumper crop of mantis this year, so they did something right last year.

I'm still waiting for all the leaves to fall from my hybrid poplar so I can take cuttings and start more. I put 100 in this spring as future firewood and buffer in my big flood plain.
we had a bunch of mantis this year also...tiny things all over the place..really cool!!
Are you making trees from leaves????, please explain.
big_smile.png
....have got to get some of that 'rooting hormone' stuff from walmart..it's not too expensive

Roos better today!!! Don't know what happened yesterday, but it sure scared me!! My chicken are my babies. I never thought they would bring do much enjoyment!!!!!!
glad to hear he is doing much better now!!
clap.gif
...they do sit softly in the heart..fluffy-crazy things that they are.
I have stupid chickens. They still sleep in a cuddle puddle under the coop. Seriously, if they like it there, is there any reason to make them go inside? Maybe for winter?
Maybe when THEY feel it is too cool??...have you tried putting some 'treats' or something of they really go for in there?, kinda coax them to go up & stay(shutting the door quickly
smack.gif
)...I have not a clue, still don't understand my nutty crew..
roll.png
..that Ginger of mine., she still ahs yet to lay..It has been MONTHS..DH is really getting itchy for "Pot Pie"..if ya catch my drift
wink.png
...gosh this is nuts...

Cubalaya are my main breed and by January 1st, I should have my breeding pens set up. I will end up with approximately 18 breeding roosters and just as many hens. Cubalaya are supposed to be a dual purpose "meat and eggs" breed. Until several years ago there were very few breeders that bred them for anything but show birds. Now we have a few breeders in the US that are trying to get them back to a dual purpose breed that will also be able to compete in shows. A major problem has been that they are too small according to the SOP "Standard Of Perfection". 2014 has been a great year for me as far as making a lot of progress. I have added another breed to bring up the size and it has seemed to work quite well. I think that the meat has excellent flavor and texture. If you are used to eating meat from the Cornish X, you will probably think this meat is a bit tough/chewy, but I look for meat that has a good flavor of it's own, not necessarily needing any added flavors. Most of the time we will add some sort of flavoring as I am not the only one eating it.
hmm.png

As of right now they are generally used for showing, but I am working on once again making them a dual purpose breed.
what would a typical rooster dressed-out weigh?...or is supposed to weigh?
What is the average/general egg count per hen..in a week?
**that you Troyer
big_smile.png
..they are really a beautiful bird!

Back
Top Bottom