Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Nice to meet you.
frow.gif
Philly is a bit of a drive. I'm guessing you don't mail eggs.
We were suppose to get 3 inches of snow today, but the forecasters were wrong again - it's more like 3 inches an hour.
We're going to make a coop out of an abandoned trailer. It will be roomy and predator proof.
How many chickens can I fit comfortably in a 33 x 8 coop? My poor DH!

Nice to meet you. :frow  Philly is a bit of a drive.  I'm guessing you don't mail eggs.  
We were suppose to get 3 inches of snow today, but the forecasters were wrong again - it's more like 3 inches an hour.  
We're going to make a coop out of an abandoned trailer.  It will be roomy and predator proof.  
How many chickens can I fit comfortably in a 33 x 8 coop?  My poor DH!

is that 33 feet by 8 feet?
If so, 66 birds would fit quite comfortably. The way I do them, closer to 100 would be in there...lol

yep:

my runs are open and the girls are just staying under the tarped areas....one ventured out and under the coop, but retreated quickly.....

Everyone is under the porch now. Be careful where you step! :lol:

REALLY!!
Many of you are buying eggs, I can not even imagine eating those nasty things....one thing I never run out of is eggs... but then I keep specific birds that are layers year round... I am surprised that the ducks are still laying fairly well though..
You know those production birds from TSC every year may only be good for a coupe of years but they will keep you in eggs year round.

I wish I had room for more heavy layers. :/

Got your back on those eggs Anne,remind me when you are here..

If you can spare them, I'll take 3 dozen. We use them up quick and I know yours are fresh and they will keep for a while.

Funny chicken story. I found a big tub of peanut butter my mother brought home from her job as a lunch lady (it was expired). So I made a mash off peanut butter, oats and scratch and put some bowls out on the porch for the girls. I noticed while looking outside that one chicken had her head almost all the way to the ground, she looked like she might be sick or injured.

Then I see the problem.

The squirrels have smelled all that peanut butter and are trying to get at it. My chicken was looking underneath the grill cover where the squirrel was hiding. ::lol:: "You can't have any, Mister." - Atilla the hen, SLW

At least it's providing some entertainment for the girls. Haha!

Here's the setup: (pardon the mess, with all the precipitation everyone hangs out on the porch and poops and molts.)

Hello to everyone in my new home State of Pennsylvania.  My DH and I bought a campground here 2 years ago. Red Oak Campground in Russell (North western PA area)  Anyone live close by? :hit  Had to sell my flock before the move. :ya  But now it's time to start a new one.  
Can anyone clue me into state laws on buying chicks or eggs from other states?  
I'm planning on getting my incubator going next month.  
I also need eggs - looking for OEs, BCMs, Welsummers, and Americaunas.

I've bought eBay eggs with no issue.

Plenty of folks on here have plenty of breeds, I'm sure you can get what you need if you hatch, and yes, some ship eggs.

And welcome from the other end of the state!

They keep extending this winter weather advisory. It started as being over at 1. Then it switched to 3. Now it just switched to 7! Argh. I wouldn't care if I didn't have to go get the kids from school and then finish Christmas shopping tomorrow lol.

I feel really bad for the chickens today. They've been hiding in/under the coop all day. It's so cold and the snow blowing. So I heated up some tomato seeds and juice that we saved for them when we were canning tomatoes this year. I added some hot pepper flakes to it when I was heating it up. Hopefully, that will warm them up some and maybe help them lay some more eggs.

Back
Top Bottom